• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Obesity not caused by lack of willpower ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    Oh ffs. No. That's a small percentage of people.
    This is a prime example of how it doesn't matter what anyone says or how many solutions or suggestions are offered, these people will always come up with a reason why it's not their fault they're fat.
    Nope. You said obesity is about choice - flat statement. I gave a counter example, proving your sweeping statement is incorrect. It's called proof by contradiction.

The better educated, intelligent and wealthier you are, the more likely it is that obesity is a matter of choice. Educating more people in budgetting and healthy eating will result in more people make right choices and obesity being reduced.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Does the article talk about physiological aspects e.g. your brain telling your body it's hungry when it doesn't need food?

While I broadly feel it comes down to individual choice, that's a cop-out answer in a way because one person might find it very easy not to over-eat while for another it is a constant struggle. If you spent every waking hour craving food pr simply feeling hungry, you have the choice to follow a calorie controlled diet but it is VERY hard.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        The thinking that obesity is only ever caused by a lack of willpower is overly simplistic. Like anything, it’s far more nuanced.

Not all calories are equal. The way that calories are processed differs from body to body. There are outliers in physiological conditions that means that some people are more predisposed to process calories and calories sources differently.
        agreed,

obesity can be a result of many factors

genes - your point
        thyroid activity
        medication, e.g. the pill for ladies
        eating habits

also, the obesity measure isn't particularly scientific. It measures body mass index including height v's weight and muscles are included in weight of course, bone density isn't considered as far as I know - awaiting any counter opinion. I guess all the players in the RWC would be considered obese using the accepted method of measurement. Someone who is 5ft 9ins should weigh about 11.5 stone. I guess there are very few rugby players who qualify.

Comment

From the article:
          "People who live in deprived areas often experience high levels of stress, including major life challenges and trauma, often their neighbourhoods offer few opportunities and incentives for physical activity and options for accessing affordable healthy food are limited."
          Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          The problem with the poor eating badly is also partly because when you're a on a limited budget, if you **** it up once, you've very little leeway to recover. Budgetting requires a certain level of intelligence (and willpower).
          Funny that there aren't many obese people in Africa, despite deprivation, limited budgets and lack of facilities.

If you are "forced" to eat unhealthy food, you can either eat less of it, or find ways to burn the excess calories.

With the exception of a very limited cases of actual genetic causes (my mom was fat and my brother is fat, so it must be genetic that i'm fat doesn't count). Or are you telling me there is a huge wave of genetic mutations that drives the skyrocketing of obesity levels in the last decades.

Obesity IS a choice. Or rather staying obese is. There is wealth of free information on nutrition, exercise out there, ZERO excuse for not taking advantage of. Healthy food doesn't' cost more than junk food, sure it's might be less convenient per £.

Obesity is 99% laziness, not willing to get help/info on how to prevent it, nor how to "threat" it.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            If you are "forced" to eat unhealthy food, you can either eat less of it, or find ways to burn the excess calories.
            That is way easier said than done.

About 6 months ago I lost a bit of weight. By giving up refined sugar. That stuff is highly addictive. But its easy for me - well paid job lots of money so I can afford to buy what food I want.

Alas I seem to have empathy with those less fortunate - something not many CUK posters are burdened with.

Comment

Funny that there aren't many obese people in Africa, despite deprivation, limited budgets and lack of facilities.
              Are you being deliberately obtuse? Or would you like someone to explain the differences?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                That is way easier said than done.

About 6 months ago I lost a bit of weight. By giving up refined sugar. That stuff is highly addictive. But its easy for me - well paid job lots of money so I can afford to buy what food I want.

Alas I seem to have empathy with those less fortunate - something not many CUK posters are burdened with.
                Lend us fifty quid then, guv'nor??

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  Lend us fifty quid then, guv'nor??

Did I point out that after food all the rest of my money goes on alimony?

Comment

Funny that there aren't many obese people in Africa, despite deprivation.
                    Excellent.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

All these people arguing - it's not my fault! It's because I'm poor! It's glandular! I don't live near an Aldi/Lidl! I can't afford the gym! I don't have a choice what I eat!

I bet you're all fat [emoji23]
                      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Working...
                      X