• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Obesity not caused by lack of willpower ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obesity not caused by lack of willpower ?

Obesity not caused by lack of willpower - psychologists - BBC News

Thoughts?

Is psychology a science?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Utter tulip. If obesity isn't a choice, does that mean being a smoker isn't a choice either? What happens when an obese person loses weight? Is that not their choice?

Obesity is caused (IMO) by a combination of things
      Lack of willpower
      Laziness, e.g. eating takeaways is far easier than cooking
      Lack of education, people don't know about nutrition or how to cook
      Of course there can be more complex psychological reasons why the overeat in the first place too.

Ultimately everything comes down to choice, it's just some are more difficult to make than others.
      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
        Obesity is caused (IMO) by a combination of things
        Lack of willpower
        Laziness, e.g. eating takeaways is far easier than cooking
        Lack of education, people don't know about nutrition or how to cook
        Of course there can be more complex psychological reasons why the overeat in the first place too.
        The article does mention your last 3 options.

Personally I don't agree with the article - people have to look after themselves without a nanny state. But it does piss me off that if you have no money and 50p to feed your children, would you buy 2 apples or 5 doughnuts? Fruit and veg is too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          The article does mention your last 3 options.

Personally I don't agree with the article - people have to look after themselves without a nanny state. But it does piss me off that if you have no money and 50p to feed your children, would you buy 2 apples or 5 doughnuts? Fruit and veg is too expensive.
          You can buy a 5kg box of fruit & veg from Lidl for £1.50. If someone would rather eat doughnuts then that's fine. It's their choice. But don't say it's because healthy food is too expensive. Take responsibility.

Comment

The problem with the poor eating badly is also partly because when you're a on a limited budget, if you **** it up once, you've very little leeway to recover. Budgetting requires a certain level of intelligence (and willpower).
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              The problem with the poor eating badly is also partly because when you're a on a limited budget, if you **** it up once, you've very little leeway to recover. Budgetting requires a certain level of intelligence (and willpower).
              I agree it does. I've been poor. But the article isn't about poor people. It's saying being obese isn't a choice & isn't down to lack of willpower.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                You can buy a 5kg box of fruit & veg from Lidl for £1.50. If someone would rather eat doughnuts then that's fine. It's their choice. But don't say it's because healthy food is too expensive. Take responsibility.
                If you are near a lidl then great. Have you tried looking in the other supermarkets?

You may note in my post I did say "people have to look after themselves without a nanny state."

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  It would be nice if it was taught in school.

Maybe the lesson on debt could be replaced with "never get into debt" and the time spent on budgeting instead.....

Comment

The thinking that obesity is only ever caused by a lack of willpower is overly simplistic. Like anything, it’s far more nuanced.

Not all calories are equal. The way that calories are processed differs from body to body. There are outliers in physiological conditions that means that some people are more predisposed to process calories and calories sources differently.

Comment

Working...
                    X