• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain is now completing the process of destroying its educational sector

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    British education was once world class. And possibly still is, at the best institutions and for the best and brightest.
    Of course such a position was intolerable. Everyone must be a winner.
    So polys became universities and grade inflation became the name of the game.

Not being satisfied with ruining education in that fashion, the dumbing down has now escalated into giving complete thickos degrees.

Shockingly, 38%, 38 fooking percent, FFS, of students offered a degree place now do not have to earn it.

Unconditional university offers on the rise for 18-year-olds | Education | The Guardian

Anyone who still believes that post-Brexit, the UK's trajectory will be upwards is a deluded fool.
    It's been HMG policy for some time to keep youngsters off the dole queue using any means. Keeping them in full time education for 3 to 5 years is a good way of doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I know a few pretty thick PhDs.
      Me too.. a couple of jobs ago a colleague was quizzing me how I'd written a stochastic process in excel, I think it was monte Carlo simulation or such. He was aw struck and had recently finished writing his engineering thesis.

Work experience is lacking from the educational system.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I know a few pretty thick PhDs.
        I knew of one some time ago who earned a living by selling car brake parts at auto jumbles. What a waste of resources. Apart from perhaps medicine, our educational system awards individuals qualifications in subjects which invariably are of limited use in the market place. Arts subjects tend to be of less use than science subjects on that score. In all my long career, I've only met 2 people who had a computer science degree and who were working in IT. Others here might have had a different experience, but in the main, most had degrees un-related to IT.

I know one individual who has a first class maths honours degree and didn't know what s = ut + 1/2 at** or v - u = at meant.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          I knew of one some time ago who earned a living by selling car brake parts at auto jumbles. What a waste of resources. Apart from perhaps medicine, our educational system awards individuals qualifications in subjects which invariably are of limited use in the market place. Arts subjects tend to be of less use than science subjects on that score. In all my long career, I've only met 2 people who had a computer science degree and who were working in IT. Others here might have had a different experience, but in the main, most had degrees un-related to IT.

I know one individual who has a first class maths honours degree and didn't know what s = ut + 1/2 at** or v - u = at meant.
          Cool story bro.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's been HMG policy for some time to keep youngsters off the dole queue using any means. Keeping them in full time education for 3 to 5 years is a good way of doing this.
            And even better they get charged £9k per year while they're doing it.

Kept me in a "job" for years.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            If you're recruiting, avoid graduates of the following universities:

20 universities account for bulk of rise in unconditional places | Education | The Guardian
            Gosh. Ye Sloughe of Desponde is halfway down, What a thing.

It's been much further down than that in the past.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 September 2019, 15:24.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

No surprises here... You just need to look to the amount of new student accommodations being built every year at (for example) Manchester and the astronomic prices charged to easily understand that for several years education became a very profitable business and when profit is the main goal quality becomes less and less important!
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Sh1te story bro.
                FTFY
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                  No surprises here... You just need to look to the amount of new student accommodations being built every year at (for example) Manchester and the astronomic prices charged to easily understand that for several years education became a very profitable business and when profit is the main goal quality becomes less and less important!
                  The big question is where they're going to find people to fill said accommodation.

More and more of these blocks are being built in Swansea.

There's a block of 560 or so rooms going up at the junction of Fabian Way and King's Road.

It'll all come out in the wash I suppose.

Not that students are known for washing much.

Computer Games students least of all.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Yeah, because it isn't maths. The individual has probably forgotten most of physics O level, while working on Fourier Surfaces and Complex Modular Forms.

It's all very well kids getting unconditional offers, but how many make it into the second year? At some European universities they'll take anyone into the first year. But 50% or so fail or drop out during that time.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My daughter had an unconditional offer this year ( Birmingham to study Law ).

The thing you might not know is that these "unconditional" offers are actually, conditionally-unconditional offers.

The condition being that you have to accept the offer as your first choice, rather than waiting for your exam results.

This is very poor practise as it puts a lot of pressure on the kids to choose the unconditional offer rather than putting down their preferred first place choice.

The other trick the Uni's do is to only make their best accommodation available to first-years who put the Uni down as their first choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X