• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain is now completing the process of destroying its educational sector

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And how did the CSE in IT go?
    It was C&G actually, and the first official computer qualification available in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      It was C&G actually, and the first official computer qualification available in the UK.
      Thought it might be something like that, you don't appear to be very bright.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Unlike mainstream academia or the BSC which could not bring themselves to admit the Micros were computers.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Thought it might be something like that, you don't appear to be very bright.
          I guess there are many things I can do, and have done, that you can't. Not everything in life requires an inflated IQ or ego.

Comment

I guess there are many things I can do, and have done, that you can't. Not everything in life requires an inflated IQ or ego.
            Indeed. Being the not very inneresting forum dullard is a skill only you possess.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Said inflated ego is rather greater than the IQ judging from posts it made here.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Why not study on the continent and save on loans?
                Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Monolingualism?

No, her German is good enough and anyway, a lot of the European Uni's offer degrees taught in English.

Why not study on the continent? Mostly personal reasons, she did consider the University of Vienna, as we have family in Wien.

Anyway, she ended up at Bristol studying law ... I would have preferred her to do Maths or Engineering!

Comment

I knew of one some time ago who earned a living by selling car brake parts at auto jumbles. What a waste of resources. Apart from perhaps medicine, our educational system awards individuals qualifications in subjects which invariably are of limited use in the market place. Arts subjects tend to be of less use than science subjects on that score. In all my long career, I've only met 2 people who had a computer science degree and who were working in IT. Others here might have had a different experience, but in the main, most had degrees un-related to IT.

I know one individual who has a first class maths honours degree and didn't know what s = ut + 1/2 at** or v - u = at meant.
                  Well, the primary reason we left UK more than three years ago is education and future prospect. Our son was going to prestigious private school in South London. What we saw is, English private schools prepare children to "fit in" for aristocratic society and using "connections" later placed at high positions. However, the school system makes children internally hollow, out of substance, full of propaganda of British state and completely out of touch in 21st century. Since we were outsiders and educated in a rigorous system ourselves, we could not underestimate the importance of 'rigor', respect for elders, discipline, sense of responsibility and so on. In addition, the gap of standards in Math, Science especially in Math it is enormous between best of best Private schools in UK and average Private school in Bangalore. We just brought India's standard math book for year 4 to my son's math teacher in one parent teacher meeting, the teacher was horrified and said it was child abuse. But on funnier side that was just standard school book, in India academically gifted children do advanced Math and Science from early age. If we would have brought advanced Math book in parent teacher meeting for Class IV, the headmaster would have called police "being ourselves bad parents".

We also experienced the schools are institutionally lazy. Forget about exams, in England there is not even any school books, there is a crazy idea of "lessen plan" where parents have no visibility.

We realized, it is complete waste of money (monthly 1200 quids) and quit the school/country and re-settled in Bangalore. We had our struggles with adjustment, but the advance of e-governance, online retail (in India there are numerous online retail companies like Flipkart, Snapdeal, Myntra etc unlike only Amazon in UK) and other services like affordable private health care etc, life is better in Bangalore than London.

Except traffic and pollution, in all other aspects, life in Bangalore city is better than London. And now take the future prospect, India is a rapidly growing economy. Bangalore is technology capital of India, there are R&D centers of various global firms, aerospace technology, AI, third fastest growing start-up hubs in the world, space research and so on. In 21st century, India is with the league of America and China far ahead of Britain.

Again, it is best decision leaving UK permanently.
                  Last edited by Hat1rmathA; 27 September 2019, 10:12.

Comment

Your record as a legal pioneer speaks for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      Unlike mainstream academia or the BSC which could not bring themselves to admit the Micros were computers.
                      not sure that academia liked IBM very much in the early days

Comment

Working...
                      X