• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland bans smacking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland bans smacking

Scotland to be first UK country to ban smacking - BBC News

A step too far in my opinion. Next they'll criminalise parents who feed their kids junk food, or let them stay up too late, or don't give them a bath every day.
    Yep, they've had a smack when they're being a little tulip
    45.83%
    No, my children are precious jewels
    20.83%
    I've not got kids, but I do have opinions
    20.83%
    Andyw's mum charges good money for that
    12.50%

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

A step too far in my opinion. Next they'll criminalise parents who feed their kids junk food, or let them stay up too late, or don't give them a bath every day.
    To be fair feeding kids junk food and letting them stay up to late probably leads to bigger problems than the odd smack.

Comment

Smacking is a symptom of the weak minded who don't know how to communicate their emotions, so how can you ever expect your spawn to reciprocate?

Never laid a hand on my daughters, who are now fast becoming little ladies, and they offer their consideration at every turn. Developing emotions, understanding them, controlling them is something we all need help with.
      Last edited by scooterscot; 3 October 2019, 11:45.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

The lawful correction defence against assault used to apply to men hitting wives and servants, but latterly just to children.

That children should have less legal protection than adults is very odd IMO.

Removing the defence if lawful correction would not criminalise a snack to stop a child running out on front of a car, where the intent is to protect the child rather than punish them. In that case, a defence of necessity could be applied. IANAL etc.

Comment

I can't think of any legitimate reason to assault another person, regardless of their age.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I can't think of any legitimate reason to assault another person, regardless of their age.
            Ich auch. Well unless they're holding a gun to my head. In that situation I bury the motherfu$$ker.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I have an 8 year-old that you can borrow for the weekend. Get back to us on Monday...
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                I have an 8 year-old that you can borrow for the weekend. Get back to us on Monday...
                I can get "delightful boisterous" children to behave without smacking them. Though I have lost a few....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I can get "delightful boisterous" children to behave without smacking them. Though I have lost a few....
                  Check underneath MF's new patio.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Check underneath MF's new patio.

Comment

Working...
                    X