• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland bans smacking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I can't think of any legitimate reason to assault another person, regardless of their age.
    You need to carry on thinking.

I'll make it easy for you:

Assault is lawful if preventing a crime or protecting family, property or another person

But force must be reasonable and proportionate
    Last edited by Gibbon; 3 October 2019, 12:12.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I can't think of any legitimate reason to assault another person, regardless of their age.
      Boasting about your inability to think isn't helping anyone.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Smacking is a rubbish way of disciplining children anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Smacking is a symptom of the weak minded who don't know how to communicate their emotions, so how can you ever expect your spawn to reciprocate?

Never laid a hand on my daughters, who are now fast becoming little ladies, and they offer their consideration at every turn. Developing emotions, understanding them, controlling them is something we all need help with.
          Is chibbing still available as a method of chastisement?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            I have an 8 year-old that you can borrow for the weekend. Get back to us on Monday...
            That reflects badly on your parenting skills.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Smacking is a rubbish way of disciplining children anyway.
              ECT is much more effective!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                That reflects badly on your parenting skills.
                Loads of people say smacking is terrible and never needed, only rational discourse etc. Then you meet their kids and they're little tulips, and their arguments seem somewhat weakened by the evidence at hand.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Can't see it's necessary. Always found a good shouting at kept em in order.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Removing the option completely is a step to far, I was smacked as a child and I’ve smacked my children in the past.

There are cases where a short sharp smack to the back of the legs is warranted, it should never be the first course of action when disciplining children, but in my view it can be effective as a last resort when the situation is serious enough.

The old rules (and those in England and Wales) where no marking/swelling/bruising were about right.

It’s similar to when the police physically restrain people, it might not always be pleasant for them, but sometimes it’s necessary and justified and their should be boundaries which can be tested by the police to ensure parents do not over step the mark when disciplining their child
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Removing the option completely is a step to far, I was smacked as a child and I’ve smacked my children in the past.

There are cases where a short sharp smack to the back of the legs is warranted, it should never be the first course of action when disciplining children, but in my view it can be effective as a last resort when the situation is serious enough.

The old rules (and those in England and Wales) where no marking/swelling/bruising were about right.

It’s similar to when the police physically restrain people, it might not always be pleasant for them, but sometimes it’s necessary and justified and their should be boundaries which can be tested by the police to ensure parents do not over step the mark when disciplining their child
                      I suppose the problem is that some parents do go too far (and clearly no-one's going to agree on what "too far" is - plenty think a slap on the leg is too far) but those parents that seriously beat their kids are unlikely to suddenly stop.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I smacked the kids, but when I did they took notice. What do you do if your four year old won't sit on the naughty step or whatever other nonsense punishment you're using? When they repeatedly throw their fork on the floor, when they are just generally a little tulip? Those whose small children are open to reasonable discussion have been very blessed.

Comment

Working...
                      X