• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland bans smacking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll add a poll

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I'll add a poll

#lawfulcorrection

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I suppose the problem is that some parents do go too far (and clearly no-one's going to agree on what "too far" is - plenty think a slap on the leg is too far) but those parents that seriously beat their kids are unlikely to suddenly stop.
        The only thing that’s going to happen is you’re going to criminalise the squeezed middle, those who don’t agree with smacking will continue to not do so.

And as you say those who beat their kids like ziggy beats his wife will continue to do so.

(Or should that be those who beat their kids like CM beats ziggy)
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I can't think of any legitimate reason to assault another person, regardless of their age.
          Me either. But smacking your child (in the UK) isn't assault. Do you also believe that meat is murder?

I don't think physical chastisement is wrong. I do think it's possible to bring up decent kids without it. If I was to have my time as a parent of small children again, I think I'd probably smack them less often. Rarely felt the need to do it anyway. The last time my son got a smack I think he was 6.

The logic behind banning smacking is not to criminalise parents who use it appropriately, but to stop parents who beat their children willy-nilly for the smallest "offence". Similar to the logic behind 14 units of alcohol a week - if you make standards, then you tend to shift the normal curve further towards safety. Alcoholics and child beaters will always be there, but the number is reduced. I've no idea if this theory is backed by any evidence.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          He wants it. It makes him feel loved.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            The only thing that’s going to happen is you’re going to criminalise the squeezed middle, those who don’t agree with smacking will continue to not do so.

And as you say those who beat their kids like ziggy beats his wife will continue to do so.

She never leaves a bruise.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              She never leaves a bruise.
              Milton Jones to teacher in the audience:

Marking. That's always a problem isn't it? I find if you wrap them in a mattress first...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Milton Jones to teacher in the audience:

Marking. That's always a problem isn't it? I find if you wrap them in a mattress first...
                I find it less troublesome if they never find the body.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I don't claim to be a model parent or anything, but I try my best. My parents have raised me without nay form of corporal punishment even in an age when that was SOP, so I try to follow in their footsteps and apply he same methods towards my kids. The problem is that sometimes they are not applicable.

My eldest is autistic, until he turned 5 he was barely uttering a word and any formal of verbal communication with him was impossible. He is quite large for his age and had a period of physical outbursts, that were hard to contain. The only think that worked was a smack on the bottom to get him out of his stupor. This was the last resort, but eventually we had to resort to it.

Fortunately his communication skills have improved greatly in the past year or so and it's much easier to reason with him, so we haven't had to resort to smacking for quite some time.

Now imagine us going to jail for that and he goes in foster care, is that in the best interest of the child?

Next thing you know, letting your kid skate/climb a tree etc. and brake a bone will be criminal negligence on part of the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    I don't claim to be a model parent or anything, but I try my best. My parents have raised me without nay form of corporal punishment even in an age when that was SOP, so I try to follow in their footsteps and apply he same methods towards my kids. The problem is that sometimes they are not applicable.

My eldest is autistic, until he turned 5 he was barely uttering a word and any formal of verbal communication with him was impossible. He is quite large for his age and had a period of physical outbursts, that were hard to contain. The only think that worked was a smack on the bottom to get him out of his stupor. This was the last resort, but eventually we had to resort to it.

Fortunately his communication skills have improved greatly in the past year or so and it's much easier to reason with him, so we haven't had to resort to smacking for quite some time.

Now imagine us going to jail for that and he goes in foster care, is that in the best interest of the child?

Next thing you know, letting your kid skate/climb a tree etc. and brake a bone will be criminal negligence on part of the parents.
                    That's the thing about "Common Sense" - it ain't that common.

Comment

Just talk to your kids.

"We used to have 5 children, but 2 misbehaved". Then look meaningfully at the freshly dug flower beds.

Comment

Working...
                      X