• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland bans smacking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    It’s similar to when the police physically restrain people, it might not always be pleasant for them, but sometimes it’s necessary and justified and their should be boundaries which can be tested by the police to ensure parents do not over step the mark when disciplining their child
    That's an interesting comparison. I think we can agree being physically restrained in such cases is not abuse. Some would claim that you should never even restrain your kids (other than for their safety like running into a road) because you're physically dominating them. Which seems too far to me.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well I was never smacked as a child so I guess I'm biased.

Thank you for telling me I'm a militant vegan and that what I think is a sign that I don't think. Evidence exists to refute both but who lets the truth get in the way of bigoted opinion when it's so natural to continue being a gammon.

In this age, it seems that any unsolicited physical contact is assault so to say smacking is not assault seems to be contrary to that popular opinion.

And to piss you off even more, I don't even have kids. I can't stand them and would never want to waste my life raising one.

Comment

Maybe you weren't smacked that you can recall. Your post suggests you may well have been dropped or thrown on your head at a young age.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I was occasionally smacked as a child & whilst it never did me any harm, it never did me any good either as I continued to do the things I'd been smacked for in the past. So it doesn't work.

I can see why some parents do it, but essentially it's just a loss of control on their part. If you're not sure whether smacking is right or wrong, ask yourself if you would hit a special needs adult.

Regarding the banning of smacking, it's a bit like when they made the whole of Edinburgh a 20mph speed limit. It's completely unenforceable so essentially pointless.
          If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

I think when parents show respect for each other you'll find your children want to receive the same, as such they learn to control their outbursts whilst maintaining a decorum expected of them, now that there's something they now have to lose. Smacking then becomes a non-issue.

Heck I do the same with adults in the workplace, they just don't know it. I'm a right manipulative bar-steward sometimes.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I think when parents show respect for each other you'll find your children want to receive the same, as such they learn to control their outbursts whilst maintaining a decorum expected of them, now that there's something they now have to lose. Smacking then becomes a non-issue.

Heck I do the same with adults in the workplace, they just don't know it. I'm a right manipulative bar-steward sometimes.
              Chart?
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Well I was never smacked as a child so I guess I'm biased.

Thank you for telling me I'm a militant vegan and that what I think is a sign that I don't think. Evidence exists to refute both but who lets the truth get in the way of bigoted opinion when it's so natural to continue being a gammon.

In this age, it seems that any unsolicited physical contact is assault so to say smacking is not assault seems to be contrary to that popular opinion.

And to piss you off even more, I don't even have kids. I can't stand them and would never want to waste my life raising one.
                Don't mind doogy when it comes to child welfare. His preferred snowflake deity killed all the first born sons of Egypt, after being triggered by Pharaoh not doing what Moses told him to.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  That reflects badly on your parenting skills.
                  Your mum left a real mental scar when she weaned you off the tit; didn't she?
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                    Your mum left a real mental scar when she weaned you off the tit; didn't she?
                    My mother having 2 mastectomies due to cancer certainly made me think a little. A little tulip such as yourself coming out with a rather childish remark, not so much.

It sounds like the one with the mental scars is a little closer to your home. I was merely pointing out that you boasting about your kids bad behaviour is not a good thing.
                    Last edited by Zigenare; 3 October 2019, 19:34.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      My mother having 2 mastectomies due to cancer certainly made me think a little. A little tulip such as yourself coming out with a rather childish remark, not so much.

It sounds like the one with the mental scars is a little closer to your home. I was merely pointing out that you boasting about your kids bad behaviour is not a good thing.
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X