• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice: New contract, No work to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all

I need some advice on my current situation.

I have recently started a new contract and literally have nothing to do. Apart from on-boarding, and a few miniscule tasks nothing else has come my way. I’ve asked my ‘lead’ and he seems pretty clueless. Spoken to the ‘Product owner’ and he seems to speak in circles about what’s coming my way.

I’ve managed to work out that there was a specific intent for me when they brought me onboard but that those plans have since been kiboshed.

I want to escalate this but fear talking myself out of a contract.

Its a few weeks or so in now and there’s only so many articles, confluence, discovery docs I can read.

So, do I sit tight and hope something comes or do I flag this?

Advice welcome and appreciated!

Thanks fellow contractors

You have 2 options

1) Keep quiet, stay under the radar and milk it for what you can, spend the time brushing up on other skills - main drawback with this is when the client notices (and they will) they will probably not look to favourable on it.

2) Keep asking questions as to what you can do to help etc, milk it for what you can and spend the time brushing up on other skills - this will be seen in a more favourable light than 1.

But who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      You have 2 options

1) Keep quiet, stay under the radar and milk it for what you can, spend the time brushing up on other skills - main drawback with this is when the client notices (and they will) they will probably not look to favourable on it.

2) Keep asking questions as to what you can do to help etc, milk it for what you can and spend the time brushing up on other skills - this will be seen in a more favourable light than 1.

But who knows!
      Thanks for the reply... I'm kind of at option 2 at the moment and that may be the best strategy. I guess I feeling slightly irritated by the whole thing hence considering option 1.

Comment

Technically your work is done there so time to make a quick exit. I've been in a situation like that. 4 weeks and no meaningful work turned up and it was excruciating. Spent time investigating areas of the business in preparation to hit the ground running but you can only do that for so long.

I ended up just leaving. Just the though of going in was getting me down and couldn't even keep the 'keep calm and invoice' mantra going. Explained the situation to the client indicating it's better for them if I go and can I leave as soon as possible? They mentioned the notice period so suggested we honour the notice but I just don't bill for the time I wasn't there. They agreed, asked when could I finish the handover, said it's done and left on the spot.

In my mind it's not worth hanging around if it's making you miserable but you have indicated you don't want bench time so there is only one way forward for you. Start looking and leave the minute you get something.

No point hanging around there anymore. Use the billable time to hunt for something new and then just go.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh, and as you've so much time on your hands you might have spent a few minutes checking the forums to find the best place to post this. A quick scan of General should have told you this isn't it.

HTH
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They've hired you to do something, I wouldn't go around asking for bits and pieces of stuff to do which isn't part of what is in your SOW.

Chill and bill.

Edit: until you get bored of chilling and billing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Antman; 7 October 2019, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Technically your work is done there so time to make a quick exit. I've been in a situation like that. 4 weeks and no meaningful work turned up and it was excruciating. Spent time investigating areas of the business in preparation to hit the ground running but you can only do that for so long.

I ended up just leaving. Just the though of going in was getting me down and couldn't even keep the 'keep calm and invoice' mantra going. Explained the situation to the client indicating it's better for them if I go and can I leave as soon as possible? They mentioned the notice period so suggested we honour the notice but I just don't bill for the time I wasn't there. They agreed, asked when could I finish the handover, said it's done and left on the spot.

In my mind it's not worth hanging around if it's making you miserable but you have indicated you don't want bench time so there is only one way forward for you. Start looking and leave the minute you get something.

No point hanging around there anymore. Use the billable time to hunt for something new and then just go.
              Cheers for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Oh, and as you've so much time on your hands you might have spent a few minutes checking the forums to find the best place to post this. A quick scan of General should have told you this isn't it.

HTH
                Fair.

Comment

Do some noseying around the business to see whether there are any unsolved business problems that you think you could assist with. I.e use the opportunity to try to get a different gig within the same company.
                  Another idea might be to reduce to 3 days a week, to get more free time (useful if you already have a large warchest).

Comment

Work Poop - Headquarters
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                    X