• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Infatuation attack arrgh!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Hmmm... I'd be interested to learn more about what evidence discredits the alpha-male concept, because it seems correct to me.

In my experience exercise can give you a high to counter depression - once you have stopped exercising. But at the expense of becoming more depressed while you are doing the exercise.
    I wasn't aware the "alpha-male concept" was a scientific theory as opposed to pop psychology.
    Is there no sport you enjoy?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      Hmmm... I'd be interested to learn more about what evidence discredits the alpha-male concept, because it seems correct to me.

In my experience exercise can give you a high to counter depression - once you have stopped exercising. But at the expense of becoming more depressed while you are doing the exercise.
      It's a term used in the PUA community. Mostly used by high school jock types on the Internet. Other 'manosphere' communities refer to alpha 'traits' which can help if you are dissatisfied with areas of your life.

This thread will probably become a CUK dramathon now...
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Fair few number of CUK posts about depression etc recently. We all try to act "normal" but probably going through these bad patches is actually pretty normal, expect most of have been there at some time. Sometimes there's an obvious reason but may be no reason at all.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What an amazing change. A thread full of support and really useful comments. Well done everyone...faith in humanity restored.
          I often feel very down (not sure i'd go so far as to say depressed but sometimes it comes very close) and have felt suicidal at least once in my life but things didnt seem bad enough for me for it to be a real solution. I had everything I wanted, it just didnt feel like what I needed at the time. 11 years on, 4 kids later and 10 years of not speaking to my parents seems to have given me some more perspective.
          I really hope the OP gets through this and comes out stronger the other side

Edit:
          For me the gym is always a big plus. no one to bug you, just you and the iron...it's like an hour of heaven
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Fair few number of CUK posts about depression etc recently. We all try to act "normal" but probably going through these bad patches is actually pretty normal, expect most of have been there at some time. Sometimes there's an obvious reason but may be no reason at all.
            It's very normal, I'd go as far as saying that keeping a stiff upper lip and putting on a brave face is actually really bad for one's mental health.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
              What an amazing change. A thread full of support and really useful comments. Well done everyone...faith in humanity restored.
              Unusually, at the moment general is more supportive than professional forums

Comment

I often feel very down (not sure i'd go so far as to say depressed but sometimes it comes very close)
                Same here, though probably more rather than very. Feel fine today, Dunno why it varies, can't see any correlation to anything. Having some good days stops you giving up hope.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Us contractors have had a fair amount on our plates recently, what with the potential risk of major disruption to our careers (as contractors) posed by the imposition of IR35 in the private sector. While this doesn't affect me so much personally, I do have sympathy for younger contractors (I'm 49), and those who don't have a war-chest saved, who will have potentially to make radical changes to work around this problem.

Comment

I often feel very down (not sure i'd go so far as to say depressed but sometimes it comes very close) and have felt suicidal at least once in my life but things didnt seem bad enough for me for it to be a real solution. I had everything I wanted, it just didnt feel like what I needed at the time. 11 years on, 4 kids later and 10 years of not speaking to my parents seems to have given me some more perspective.
                    I really hope the OP gets through this and comes out stronger the other side

Edit:
                    For me the gym is always a big plus. no one to bug you, just you and the iron...it's like an hour of heaven
                    An hour of hell more like

Yes I am very much encouraged by the support. Thank you. What can I do for you all in return?

Comment

I totally agree... You great useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock. BTW your mom says hi!!
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X