Infatuation attack arrgh! Infatuation attack arrgh!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 115
  1. #1

    Fingers like lightning

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    986

    Default Infatuation attack arrgh!

    OK, so for the past 12 months my mental health has been fine. I've accepted that I'm not an alpha male, that it is difficult, as someone with autism/aspergers or whatever, to form relationships. But in my life I've had bouts of depression. I've also had bouts of a kind of pining for a partner, in terms of a relationship. What would you call this though - is it a type of infatuation? Not infatuation with a particular person, but an infatuation with the idea of having a relationship. Well it has come on all of a sudden.

    I don't know why this has come on suddenly? It is moderately unpleasant, and is creating anxiety. And I don't want it to relapse my depression, because it might force me to bail out of my current gig, which would fairly majorly inconvenience the end client.

    Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Or am I a big girlie with no strength.

    I probably shouldn't post stuff like this online.

    Sorry for the rant.

  2. #2

    Fingers like lightning

    GhostofTarbera is NOT a disguised employee

    GhostofTarbera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    935

    Default

    Just go on a few tinder dates, you will soon see how bat tulip crazy most woman are and the idea of a relationship will soon be gone

    I have no serious advice


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,821

    Default

    Get to the docs and get yourself on a course of citalopram or similar. It's not a miracle cure hut it balances your brain out so you can focus on being you. If you can't sort you brain whizzing around the sleep becomes a problem and you are on a downward spiral. At least with the chemicals in your brain at the right level you've a fighting chance of staying focused.

    Don't give me this 'real men don't do docs/pills/anti depressants' that's just bollocks.
    Real men do what real men need to do to stay real men.

    There is no stigma about them. More than half the teachers at my other half's school have been on them for years to deal with teaching primary school kids in a bad area. They swear by them.

    Not the answer but hope it helps.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 8th October 2019 at 22:19.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper is always on top

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    26,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GJABS View Post
    OK, so for the past 12 months my mental health has been fine. I've accepted that I'm not an alpha male, that it is difficult, as someone with autism/aspergers or whatever, to form relationships. But in my life I've had bouts of depression. I've also had bouts of a kind of pining for a partner, in terms of a relationship. What would you call this though - is it a type of infatuation? Not infatuation with a particular person, but an infatuation with the idea of having a relationship. Well it has come on all of a sudden.

    I don't know why this has come on suddenly? It is moderately unpleasant, and is creating anxiety. And I don't want it to relapse my depression, because it might force me to bail out of my current gig, which would fairly majorly inconvenience the end client.

    Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Or am I a big girlie with no strength.

    I probably shouldn't post stuff like this online.

    Sorry for the rant.
    It's come on because of the smiling couples you see all over social media. It ain't real.

    But if you do want a relationship, then you do need to put yourself out there as tarbera says - difficult if you're not confident socially.

    FWIW, for a long time I was unhappy because people seemed to have "better" relationships than me - it's taken many years to realise that most people are muddling along together trying not to wind each other up too much, and those that are truly happy are the rare exception

  5. #5

    Fingers like lightning

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Get to the docs and get yourself on a course of citalopram or similar.
    Thanks northernlad. Actually I am taking one, and have been for several years. They work. Aannd over the past few weeks I have been forgetting to take them some nights. This might be a factor. It's just a surprise how quickly the problem comes on.

    I will see my GP if things take a turn for the worse (and I'll be required to stop flying until I'm better, which is fair enough).

    cheers again

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GJABS View Post
    Thanks northernlad. Actually I am taking one, and have been for several years. They work. Aannd over the past few weeks I have been forgetting to take them some nights. This might be a factor. It's just a surprise how quickly the problem comes on.

    I will see my GP if things take a turn for the worse (and I'll be required to stop flying until I'm better, which is fair enough).

    cheers again
    Dunno what you are on but citalopram takes a couple of weeks to charge up and start working hence it not being much of a miracle cure. More like long term balancer. I'd be very surprised if something that takes that long to normalise your levels can be undone in a day or two... But better safe than sorry.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #7

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,643

    Default

    Citralopram should be taken in the morning as it affects sleep.

    Once on them its hard to stop. For those think of starting on anti-depressants, the first few weeks are worse. And Citralopram is not great for some, Sertraline can be better.

    Personally when I get depressed, I keep away from general for a while and stick to tpd. That usually cures my issues. Or arrange a social meet up, where you meet nice people who assist you instead of bringing you down(yes even NLUK! ). Really I should just quit CUK all together - but I like to hang round the scheme forum picking up those in a really bad way.

  8. #8

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,716

    Default

    Welcome to the human condition. Even Peter Pan cannot deny the flow of time.

    Reading your text reminded of Jordan's lecture, a very worthwhile 10 minutes:

    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  9. #9

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    20,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    It's come on because of the smiling couples you see all over social media. It ain't real.

    But if you do want a relationship, then you do need to put yourself out there as tarbera says - difficult if you're not confident socially.

    FWIW, for a long time I was unhappy because people seemed to have "better" relationships than me - it's taken many years to realise that most people are muddling along together trying not to wind each other up too much, and those that are truly happy are the rare exception
    This ^^

    The pressure from society to have a "perfect" relationship, or even to be in a relationship at all is enormous. Being single, especially by choice, is seen as being abnormal.

    We all look at other people, especially on social media, and wonder how they manage to have such a wonderful marriage/partnership/whatever and compare ourselves to them. What you don't see in this sanitized, controlled presentation are the arguments, bickering, irritating habits and other imperfections.

    As was said earlier, you can scratch the itch by going on dates via Tinder or other dating apps. Just remember that the person you see on the App is almost certainly as ****ed up and insecure as you are IRL.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  10. #10

    Super poster

    Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,499

    Default

    G-JABS, it could be hormonal, your body telling you to get out there and breed before it's too late. Some people refer to it as a mid-life crisis.

    Go and see the Doc, you're not the only one who's gone through this stuff.

    Even mudskipper has trouble trying to be a "real man", although you wouldn't think that if you'd ever met her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •