• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wife received email for me - how?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    A gentleman brings his lover to a Premier Inn.
    RELAIS & CHÂTEAUX ftw.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      A gentleman brings his lover to a Premier Inn.
      Dare I look that up on urban dictionary?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Dare I look that up on urban dictionary?
        If you do, make sure it’s not on a computer that is used by your wife or her lawyer.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Likely a tracking cookie from Travelodge picked up by TripAdvisor who then sent the email based on local settings.
          This.

When you visit a website, the website often saves its own cookies to the local cache. But it also often saves what are called "third party cookies" - that can be read by other websites.
          This means that you and the wife could each log onto different websites on the same machine (say you gmail, and her facebook), and third party tracking cookies left by each can be read by the other. This enables accounts, and therefore people, to become linkable across websites.

It is typically done for advertising- an example being where you might search Google for "fishing rods", for example. This information is useful to advertisers because they can then target adverts to you even on different websites, each of which has a vested interest in trying to get your money.

The remedy, if you want to prevent this, is to configure the browser to refuse websites permission to save third party cookies (i.e. only save normal "first party" cookies defined by that site.

A second thing you can do is, to enable something called "First Party Isolation", which does a similar thing.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/first...ation-firefox/

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
            This.

When you visit a website, the website often saves its own cookies to the local cache. But it also often saves what are called "third party cookies" - that can be read by other websites.
            This means that you and the wife could each log onto different websites on the same machine (say you gmail, and her facebook), and third party tracking cookies left by each can be read by the other. This enables accounts, and therefore people, to become linkable across websites.

It is typically done for advertising- an example being where you might search Google for "fishing rods", for example. This information is useful to advertisers because they can then target adverts to you even on different websites, each of which has a vested interest in trying to get your money.

The remedy, if you want to prevent this, is to configure the browser to refuse websites permission to save third party cookies (i.e. only save normal "first party" cookies defined by that site.

A second thing you can do is, to enable something called "First Party Isolation", which does a similar thing.

What Is First-Party Isolation and How to Enable It in Firefox - Make Tech Easier

Is there a browser (such as that new Brave one) that has these settings on by default?

I think I've read that some browser plug-ins allow a default 'accept' but is there one that does a default 'decline'?

I hate those sites that have a pop-up demanding you click 'accept' to allow hell's spawn onto your device, or a convoluted 'decline' process where you have to deselect dozens of options for third parties that are part of that hell spawn. I only want to read one soddin article not set up a profile on each bloody website.

About time someone kicked the tulip out of this for the sake of user experience and delivered on the promise of an alternative to advertisement income for websites. Facebook, Google, and all the other data sucking scum are leading us to a place where a revolution will be required.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
            X