• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weekend Thread - whats happening ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benny View Post
    Did you use foundation blocks below ground? they seem an easy and quick way to get up to ground level
    No, I used engineering bricks as I had some lintels for drainage to deal with, and a sloping garden so I didn't want to risk exposing the blocks later.

But the rest is block and render, so it was also my one chance to do some brickwork!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      No, I used engineering bricks as I had some lintels for drainage to deal with, and a sloping garden so I didn't want to risk exposing the blocks later.

But the rest is block and render, so it was also my one chance to do some brickwork!

I always cringe when I read about people doing DIY extensions – likely as I know what could go wrong!
      I suppose it’s just too much of a busman’s holiday for me

But I wish you straight walls, no settlement & a successful project.
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        I always cringe when I read about people doing DIY extensions – likely as I know what could go wrong!

Cheers, but it's about as straight forward as an extension can be (not that it stops it being a real challenge for me). We're sand after a few hundred mm, and the old one managed without any foundations whatsoever for many decades!

And, of course it's all BCO monitored - to be honest, I suspect I'm being more cautious than your average yellow pages builder.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Sometimes you pro's get it wrong!

Building Collapse In New Orleans; 1 Dead, 18 Injured, 2 Trapped | The Daily Wire

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
            FTFY
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
            X