• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgaged until death

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgaged until death

40-year mortgages: Now you can borrow into your 80s | Daily Mail Online

This, zirp, interest only and high loan to earnings ratio means big house price rises for ever more.

Was at a funeral last week, chap just paid of his mortgage at 52, not had a holiday in 3 years to do so, heart attack and long time deed

Explain the benefits of not having a mortgage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

This, zirp, interest only and high loan to earnings ratio means big house price rises for ever more.

Soon they will allow you to pay your mortgage from the pension pot.

Industry will put a bunch more "property development" shows on tv pushing the frenzy to the next level.

Society will be divided in home owners and slaves. "landlord" term always seemed a bit off, but there might have been some truth in it.

I am heading for the mountains...

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I am heading for the mountains...
        at last!

don't let the door slap yer arse on the way out.

Comment

Mortgaged until death
          Probably after death. Given the cost of funerals these days you will have to take out a mortgage to pay for your coffin.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

The word 'mortgage' comes from Old French, and Latin and literally meant 'death pledge.'
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              at last!

don't let the door slap yer arse on the way out.

I’ll send you some pics to decorate your cubicle. With the post brexit labor laws i’m pretty sure you won’t be able to leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                I’ll send you some pics to decorate your cubicle. With the post brexit labor laws i’m pretty sure you won’t be able to leave it.
                My office doesn't have a cubicle.
                and it's perfectly well decorated.

just go.

Comment

So Sweden recently reduced their max mortgage term to 105 years...

Telegraph: Sweden cuts maximum mortgage term to 105 years (the average is 140)

"The average term is reported to be 140 years. This meant many people who inherited property but who could not afford to take on the mortgage debt had to sell up.

Swedish banks were quoted in the local press as opposing the move".

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Explain the benefits of not having a mortgage ?
                    Same reason buying and paying off before retirement is usually a better idea than renting ... the state pension or pension provision of a large percentage of the UK population would mean they'd struggle to pay rent or mortgage in retirement.

So now there are pensioner mortgages in the pipeline (if not already here in terms of the various forms of equity release) where you sign over the house and have the option of attempting to pay the debt off before death if you want to leave the property for inheritance.

Don't some countries already have multi-generational mortgages so the kids inherit debt if they want a place they can pretend they own?

On the plus side, there's a big business opportunity coming for those that create AI worker bots so you can 'work from home' to pay off the debt (or wait for a pension when they keep proposing higher retirement ages ) long after your body has physically given up on any notion of working as it currently stands. i.e. they want to keep you tied up with debt until and beyond you die but you can have an AI bot that will work just as long. The kids will love it.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X