• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgaged until death

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Was at a funeral last week, chap just paid of his mortgage at 52, not had a holiday in 3 years to do so, heart attack and long time deed

Explain the benefits of not having a mortgage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Strange I'm 52 and paid my mortgage off last year and I haven't had a heart attack, must be the exception, all the extra disposable income is getting me down now though, I'm getting sick of 5* hotels and I'm missing those 3* dives I used to use whilst overpaying the mortgage.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

We paid our mortgage off 20 years ago when interest rates were a lot higher*.

It made a lot more sense then but I'd still prefer to be mortgage free even though (interest only) mortgages are dirt cheap now.

I wouldn't want to go into retirement saddled with a whopping mortgage.
      1. What if interest rates do go up? Even an extra couple of % could be crippling.
      2. Would you still be able to remortgage, to take advantage of a lower rate, if you are on a reduced income?
      3. If remortgaging is difficult, then maybe it would be harder to move house?

*I was going to say normal but feck knows what normal is anymore.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Was at a funeral last week, chap just paid of his mortgage at 52, not had a holiday in 3 years to do so, heart attack and long time deed

Explain the benefits of not having a mortgage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        Paid mine off late 30's. Still alive 10 years later. I'm seeing big benefits
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          So Sweden recently reduced their max mortgage term to 105 years...

Telegraph: Sweden cuts maximum mortgage term to 105 years (the average is 140)
          In Switzerland you can keep you mortgage going so long as your income allows, right up to death. If your heirs can pay the mortgage, then they can just keep going. It's unwise to pay off all your mortgage, since there is tax relief on interests payments, imputed rent tax, and wealth tax. Better to use the money elsewhere.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            imputed rent tax
            Which explains the Schedule A Income Tax receipts I found in my grandfather's records, a man with no income paying tax.

A neat trick if you can achieve it.

He died shortly before Selwyn Lloyd abolished Schedule A in 1963.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              In Switzerland you can keep you mortgage going so long as your income allows, right up to death. If your heirs can pay the mortgage, then they can just keep going. It's unwise to pay off all your mortgage, since there is tax relief on interests payments, imputed rent tax, and wealth tax. Better to use the money elsewhere.
              Precisely this! Plus everytime you remortage (with extra borrow) that extra is tax free money in your pocket!
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

I'm getting sick of 5* hotels and I'm missing those 3* dives
                Paid my mortage off decades ago but was too much of a cheapskate to even do 3* when I was still contracting.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                X