• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello I’m an Agent, I get a billion, squillion CVs a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    To be honest, I've never had an agent say this to me.

I am not in a niche role, but the experience and clients I've had in past contracts means when ever someone gets my CV I'm confident I'll get a follow up call asking which bodies I caused and where they are buried
    FTFY
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractBunny View Post
      Can we just lay the whole “I got 50/100/500 cvs for this role” thing to rest. It is blatantly lies, they probably do get tens of cvs that are out and out chaff but they very quickly filter them out.

The “I got over a 100 cvs” thing is just a reflex reaction if they are not really interested in you or they can smell the desperation. It is just the other end of the spectrum from when they are interested in you and they tell you, you are the only contractor in the world.
      What role do you do that there are 100's (or even in the 10's) of applicants? For the roles I do I get calls off the agents and I'm asked to apply. Maybe cross train to a skill set where there is less competition. I hear VB6 is still in demand
      Last edited by Whorty; 17 October 2019, 08:32.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by ContractBunny View Post
        Correct. This fact is normally thrown in after branching questions have been asked or right before a request to modify the cv or “what’s your bottom rate”.
        I'm never asked what my bottom rate is. I've worked with the same agents for years. They know my market rate. They call me when they have a role that suits and meets my rate expectation. Simples

Comment

Thanks to the OP for the private PM. I gave you some good advice that's worked for me. Take it or leave it, but the best I can give you is to lose the chip off your shoulder

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            I'm never asked what my bottom rate is. I've worked with the same agents for years. They know my market rate. They call me when they have a role that suits and meets my rate expectation. Simples

NLyUK said your bottom rate was a farthing. Shows how many years experience you have !

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              NLyUK said your bottom rate was a farthing. Shows how many years experience you have !
              It's the market rate for the skills I have, and she never complains Thinking about it, she never tips either!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                It's the market rate for the skills I have, and she never complains Thinking about it, she never tips either!!

according to her you get enough tips! Though they aren't money.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  according to her you get enough tips! Though they aren't money.
                  It pays the bills

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
                    hmm just a random role on LinkedIn
                    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1414612019/
                    over 200 applicants
                    and that is just one source assuming they advertise it on several job boards
                    For many roles, 95% are from the Indian subcontinent and just highly optimistic speculative spam.
                    Last edited by DeadEyedJacks; 19 October 2019, 17:02.

Comment

Considering most agents spam people with jobs that don't even remotely match the recipients' CV, it's no wonder they receive hundreds of responses back.

Comment

Working...
                      X