• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello I’m an Agent, I get a billion, squillion CVs a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello I’m an Agent, I get a billion, squillion CVs a day

Can we just lay the whole “I got 50/100/500 cvs for this role” thing to rest. It is blatantly lies, they probably do get tens of cvs that are out and out chaff but they very quickly filter them out.

The “I got over a 100 cvs” thing is just a reflex reaction if they are not really interested in you or they can smell the desperation. It is just the other end of the spectrum from when they are interested in you and they tell you, you are the only contractor in the world.

Comment

Erm.. Right. Thanks for that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ContractBunny View Post
        very quickly filter them out
        Yep, filter them into chumps who will take day rate minus £100 and those who won't, put forward a chump

Comment

Can we just lay the whole “I got 50/100/500 cvs for this role” thing to rest. It is blatantly lies, they probably do get tens of cvs that are out and out chaff but they very quickly filter them out.

The “I got over a 100 cvs” thing is just a reflex reaction if they are not really interested in you or they can smell the desperation. It is just the other end of the spectrum from when they are interested in you and they tell you, you are the only contractor in the world.
          We don’t call you Pimps for nothing, you know.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            We don’t call you Pimps for nothing, you know.
            Correct but people really seem to be forgetting that. Asking if you should send your agent a Christmas present, moaning that they try and take a bigger cut and just failing to recognise the out and out lies.

I don’t know what happened in the last year but the CUK forum seems to have got supine when it comes to agents.

Comment

OK, I'll bite. An agent would have to have rung the contractor on receiving their cv in order to even have the "200 cvs" conversation. So surely the agent is interested by definition?

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
                OK, I'll bite. An agent would have to have rung the contractor on receiving their cv in order to even have the "200 cvs" conversation. So surely the agent is interested by definition?
                Correct. This fact is normally thrown in after branching questions have been asked or right before a request to modify the cv or “what’s your bottom rate”.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
                  Not to disagree, but I tend to send and call, all within the same smooth movement...

I then also ask how many CVs they have received, if only to use the opportunity to lend empathetic noises. Friendships thus made, we talk job.

Anyway, am not sure what the thrust of the thread is. Can someone tell me....

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Anyway, am not sure what the thrust of the thread is. Can someone tell me....
                    I keep reading about people whining about this and taking it to be some sort of indicator about the state of the market, when they should just be treating it as background lies.

Comment

Working...
                    X