Plastic bags - are they that bad? Plastic bags - are they that bad? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 49
  1. #11

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic View Post
    Yep I agree! Don't believe in climate change because of humans. It's a natural process.

    On recycling is a load of b.s.. 90% isn't recycled and bin ment won't take most types of plastics or wont take it if bottle have lids on or ittle bin box for cardboard is overflowing so don't bother now. We don't know what plastics is or isn't recyclable so to encourage recycling all plastics should be allowed and at the sorting office that can decide.
    Erm. I never said anything like that. I just pointed out a bit of basic science.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #12

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    There was a programme earlier in the year that poked about in landfill of different ages: the bin bags were like new and some of the 50 year old newspapers were still readable.
    Unlike most of the newspapers of today...

    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  3. #13

    More fingers than teeth

    greenlake has reached the peak. Play again?

    greenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic View Post
    On recycling is a load of b.s.. 90% isn't recycled and bin ment won't take most types of plastics or wont take it if bottle have lids on or ittle bin box for cardboard is overflowing so don't bother now.
    Hmmmm....


  4. #14

    Contractor Among Contractors

    CheeseSlice is a permanent contractor

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    1,781

    Default

    Talking about supermarket bags. I used to have a collection of single use bags, and tried to reuse most as bin liners etc. Still had too many left over from shopping so some were a year old or so. Given long enough they literally fell apart into shreds when picking them up. I dont know if it was because they were in a warm cupboard but they do actually break down (by design?).

    Reusable bags on the other hand, I'm not so sure. I imagine the ones that just end up in landfill - or worse the ocean - aren't going to break down quite as easily. I think the figures show that reuse is increasing with the bag charge etc. but I suspect these ones could be more damaging to the environment.

  5. #15

    Super poster

    ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    There was a programme earlier in the year that poked about in landfill of different ages: the bin bags were like new and some of the 50 year old newspapers were still readable.
    I saw that programme. It was really quite interesting.


    It's annoying how different councils have different recycling policies. HWMBO's council accepts foil and has food waste composting. Mine doesn't do either. His doesn't collect glass, mine does.

    Then there's all the crap about the right plastic. And you can't include shredded paper so a lot of my paper waste can't be recycled because I shred most documents before disposal.

    The trouble is, is that there isn't a market for recycled plastic that makes the process economically viable. Recycled plastic isn't as durable as new and costs more to produce. Really the answer to to work out what to use instead of single use plastics. And the simple way to do that is to look at the pre-plastic era, take a few lessons and make improvements.

  6. #16

    Still gathering requirements...

    HoofHearted is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic View Post
    We don't know what plastics is or isn't recyclable so to encourage recycling all plastics should be allowed and at the sorting office that can decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's annoying how different councils have different recycling policies. HWMBO's council accepts foil and has food waste composting. Mine doesn't do either. His doesn't collect glass, mine does.
    This is why it's a nonsense that we all have to become instant experts on all the different types of plastic and whether they are recyclable by our local authorities.

    Aside from the fact that most of it goes to landfill anyway, they could/should employ recycling "experts" at the depot. Then we just put anything with a recycling symbol into the blue bin and let them decide.

    Personally I just chuck it all in the blue bin and let them worry about it

  7. #17

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    32,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWolves View Post
    The problem with these sorts of arguments is that they start from assuming that the environmental argument revolves around carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas that is driving climate change.

    If you start from the premise that CO2 is not, in fact, driving climate change and focus on environmental pollution and resource exhaustion as the great existential threats the whole equation inverts and paper becomes the best option (as long as we don't bleach it), or even hemp.

    Once it becomes obvious that we are heading into a new solar minima we are going to see a lot of people flip their arguments without missing a beat.
    If you start from a premise that flies in the face of what the entire scientific community is arguing, you can claim whatever you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  8. #18

    Super poster

    ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    There are other gases that have a more harmful effect on global warming. Methane is one and there's at least one other but I can't remember at the moment. If we all went meat free and stopped farting, that would help.

    My personal bug bear is the demand to go 'zero-carbon' which is literally impossible. We are made of carbon, we eat carbon, we excrete carbon. There will always need to be a certain level of carbon in the environment in order for it to function. All life cycles rely on there being carbon in various forms.

  9. #19

    Super poster

    meridian - scorchio!

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    There are other gases that have a more harmful effect on global warming. Methane is one and there's at least one other but I can't remember at the moment. If we all went meat free and stopped farting, that would help.
    The methane fields under Siberia are thought to have been a significant contributing factor to the end Permian extinction event.

    There’s a danger that if we reach levels of warming where the permafrost melts it may set off an unstoppable chain reaction.

  10. #20

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    The methane fields under Siberia are thought to have been a significant contributing factor to the end Permian extinction event.

    There’s a danger that if we reach levels of warming where the permafrost melts it may set off an unstoppable chain reaction.
    Or if MF lets one off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •