• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plastic bags - are they that bad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Erm. I never said anything like that. I just pointed out a bit of basic science.
    Hah yeah i agreed with your statement but then within the same paragraph talked about climate change and other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Erm. I never said anything like that. I just pointed out a bit of basic science.
      Originally posted by greenlake View Post
      Hmmmm....

Hah nice image. Point exactly. All they do is take household waste to dump and recycled waste to forign dump which now these countries are rejecting.

It's all a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If you start from a premise that flies in the face of what the entire scientific community is arguing, you can claim whatever you like.
        What does Infowars say?

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
          Hah nice image. Point exactly. All they do is take household waste to dump and recycled waste to forign dump which now these countries are rejecting.

It's all a joke.
          Indeed, could be a money spinner after brexit

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If you start from a premise that flies in the face of what the entire scientific community is arguing, you can claim whatever you like.
            Not saying the climate isn't changing, or that human activities aren't causing it. Just that CO2 emissions may not be the cause, there are suggestions that it is a following indicator, rather than cause. I'm old enough to remember quite a few times when the whole scientific community went up a blind alley.

Before you ask, I am not entirely a layman as I graduated in TP and wrote a research piece on tropospheric interferometry. Not saying one way or the other either, just that it's not settled.
            Last edited by TwoWolves; 21 October 2019, 19:20.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                There are other gases that have a more harmful effect on global warming. Methane is one and there's at least one other but I can't remember at the moment. If we all went meat free and stopped farting, that would help.
                We could at least stop eating cows and sheep and switch to chickens/pigs. The Chinese are going the other way.

Maybe to fix climate change we first need to nuke China.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Maybe to fix climate change we first need to nuke China.....
                  By Deity he's got it!

Global Nuclear Winter!

You heard it here first!

Discounts on supplies of Cobalt Thorium G for large purchases.

YMMV.

Other means of Global Destruction are available.

No refunds if not satisfied.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    The problem with these sorts of arguments is that they start from assuming that the environmental argument revolves around carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas that is driving climate change.

If you start from the premise that CO2 is not, in fact, driving climate change and focus on environmental pollution and resource exhaustion as the great existential threats the whole equation inverts and paper becomes the best option (as long as we don't bleach it), or even hemp.

Once it becomes obvious that we are heading into a new solar minima we are going to see a lot of people flip their arguments without missing a beat.
                    focus on environmental pollution and resource exhaustion as the great existential threats
                    at the rate that humans are multiplying, our own effluent may soon become the biggest risk to the environment. However, there is no money for anyone claiming that at the moment, but huge sums are available for the CO2 argument.

Perhaps our uric acid effluent will cause a similar issue as here -

303 See Other
                    Last edited by JohntheBike; 22 October 2019, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      How plastic bags were supposed to help save the planet - BBC News

"To be as environmentally friendly as a single plastic bag that is being recycled, a paper bag needs to be used at least 3 times while cotton bags need to be reused 131 times to have the same environmental impact".

Article also points out that plastic bags were designed to be reused. The issue is lazy humans.

So it seems the only way to save humankind is less humans.....
                      I think if I were a whale or a sea lion, I'd rather swallow a paper bag or get it stuck round my neck, than a plastic bag!
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X