• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal query

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    You need to read the small print
    Indeed, probably their business model to alter at will final design (to lower costs) and have the T&C’s to back it up

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 23 October 2019, 22:44.

Comment

Hello all, thanks for your comments.

It seemed they were digging their feet in initially but after pushing harder they did accept the change had been made without our agreement and acknowledged the problem.

Their first offer was to refund our deposit and cancel the sale. We wondered if that was going to be a cynical "take it or leave it" gambit knowing that we can't afford to wait another 3 months to get another one made.

We suggested that since it was already built and shipped, the only realistic course of action was for us to accept it as-is and pay to have changes made, and seek compensation. A bit of to-ing and fro-ing and they agreed a flat reduction on the overall price. This might or might not cover the costs we incur but it will certainly put a sizeable dent in them.

It is due to arrive next week but we are waiting on our engineer to suggest changes still.

So not perfect but I think like Boris' deal, we can accept it.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not a bad deal I guess, but there's every chance if you asked for the refund that they would have suggested a discount anyway.

I had a company install something in my house and they ****ed it up royally because it wasn't suitable. Arguing with them got nowhere but sending an official letter before action got them to give me a full refund. They actually offered a full refund, or to put it right (not really possible), or keep it for a discount. I said full refund, and they kept getting back to me asking again and again if I was sure I didn't want to keep it for a fee. The fee got smaller and smaller, because it was a write-off for them, but I always declined and in the end they had to send someone to remove it (further cost).

Maybe you could have negotiated something similar if you insisted on a refund, depends if they had a chance of reusing it. In my case it was a permanent fixture and removing it destroyed it.

Took many MANY months to get resolved though so if you were in a hurry maybe wouldn't have worked.

Comment

Working...
        X