• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    1000 Amps? Pah - You could barely jump start an obstinate donkey with that! 20,000 Amps is more like it.

NOCO Boost Max GB500 20000 Amp 12V/24V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter for Petrol and Diesel Engines and Class 8+ / CE Vehicles

when we have this type of battery technology, I really wonder why electric car battery technology relies on an array of AA batteries.

Comment

1000 Amps? Pah - You could barely jump start an obstinate donkey with that! 20,000 Amps is more like it.

NOCO Boost Max GB500 20000 Amp 12V/24V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter for Petrol and Diesel Engines and Class 8+ / CE Vehicles

That couldn't jump start a squirrel.

Get something with a bit of kick

Miller's have a good deal on them.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I must be honest, in all seriousness it's rather puzzling how these jump starters with such large amperages aren't hideously dangerous.

I'd have thought that even 1000 Amps, let alone 10000 Amps, at 12 Volts across one's torso would be enough to instantly kill someone, and even fry them.

And it can't be that the current flows for only a nanosecond or something, because presumably the current must last a fair time to turn over a large vehicle engine.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I must be honest, in all seriousness it's rather puzzling how these jump starters with such large amperages aren't hideously dangerous.

I'd have thought that even 1000 Amps, let alone 10000 Amps, at 12 Volts across one's torso would be enough to instantly kill someone, and even fry them.

And it can't be that the current flows for only a nanosecond or something, because presumably the current must last a fair time to turn over a large vehicle engine.
          The human body has a very high resistance. No matter what the amperage capability of a power supply, 12v will never cause a dangerous electric shock. Try touching both terminals of a car battery (or a jump starter) and you'll be hard pressed to feel anything.

Mains 240v is dangerous because, at this voltage, a few mA (milliamps) will pass through the body.

It is true that current (i) is what kills, and you don't need much current at all, but you need a high voltage (v) to overcome the body's resistance (r).

i = v ÷ r
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

It's like shooting a building with a gun, voltage is how piercing it is, amps is how much damage it does if it gets inside

Without enough voltage the amps can't get in so no damage

Another example, hold multimeter probes in each hand, measures 0 (or almost 0), current through the body

Stab the probes into each of your thumbs however, and you will die instantly because blood conducts electricity rather nicely

1999 Darwin Award: Resistance is Futile

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
              So close to the end of the year and only two nominations for 2019? Sad times

EDIT: Ah...they'll all awaiting final assessment. That's ok then

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                You can take the boy out of Lympstone..............
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                X