• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the end?

Some here may know that I have an old (04) Nissan 350z as my gas guzzler of choice. Had her for 10 or so years now.

I drive about every 6 weeks or so, to visit the parentals, so it was unsurprising the other week when I discovered the battery dead as a dead thing one rainy, windswept morning. Got a new battery fitted at short notice from the lovely chaps at Kwik Fit (my car has a 'special' battery; none of that universal, find one anywhere types common folk have). It seemed plausible that it had died, the last battery change was over 5 years ago.

Imagine, therefore, my dismay when I pop out to my car three days after the new battery has been fitted to discover it be dead as a dead thing once again.

Now starts the presumably expensive game of 'find the electrical fault' that is draining the battery.

Shall I just give up now or fight the good fight for a while longer?
    Last edited by ladymuck; 23 October 2019, 15:46.

did you drive far with the new battery in?
    does it have an alarm system?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      did you drive far with the new battery in?
      does it have an alarm system?
      No, only a couple of miles. The chap never said it needed a long drive, or I would have done that.

Yes, it has an alarm. Never been a problem until now though?

Comment

Did you leave a small light on inside, e.g. maybe by not closing the boot completely? Been there, done that.

Or did you drive through a big puddle and a drop of water made a contact on one of the electronic boards that plague modern cars? Done that too.

Sounds like you need one of these bad boys NOCO Boost Pro GB150 4000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Car Jump Starter for Petrol and Diesel Engines up to 10L. I now have one in the boot of all three of my chronically unreliable cars!

(I think you can buy a 10000 Amp one, for jump starting tanks and that kind of thing. But 4000 Amps should be enough to be going on with.)

You'll also need a proper USB charger for it, such as a Sabrent 60W 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub + 3 Smart Charging Ports
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 23 October 2019, 15:56.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Did you leave a small light on inside, e.g. maybe by not closing the boot completely? Been there, done that.

Or did you drive through a big puddle and a drop of water make a contact on one of the electronic boards that plague modern cars? Done that too.
          I have done the light thing too. Pretty sure not as I learnt that lesson but I should double check when I get it jump started again.

No puddles fortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            No, only a couple of miles. The chap never said it needed a long drive, or I would have done that.

Yes, it has an alarm. Never been a problem until now though?
            take it back to KwickFit and complain vehemently and vociferously.

Comment

Get the alternator checked (you should be able to find a mobile vehicle electrician quite easily). A replacement will be close to £500 fitted* (although get some quotes and don't go anywhere near the main dealer). It's probably not worth doing, tbh, I'd put the £500 towards something a bit newer.

*educated estimate - I've never owned a Datsun...honest...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Get the alternator checked (you should be able to find a mobile vehicle electrician quite easily). A replacement will be close to £500 fitted* (although get some quotes and don't go anywhere near the main dealer). It's probably not worth doing, tbh, I'd put the £500 towards something a bit newer.

*educated estimate - I've never owned a Datsun...honest...
                Are you my Dad? He calls it a Datsun too - I even have a Datsun keyring for it

Comment

I'd give it a good charge first before I started worrying. Either a nice long journey or get a battery charger on it over night.

Eliminate the battery by starting off from full first.

I miss my 350z
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Are you my Dad? He calls it a Datsun too - I even have a Datsun keyring for it
                    I bloody well hope not

To those of a certain vintage, they will always be Datsuns.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X