• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the need to escape from Vietnam using traffickers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite what the extreme right tabloid press want to make you believe, it is very hard to get visa for the UK. If you have no job, bank account, insurance, house, family left behind, return ticket, sponsors in the UK you will not get a visa.
    And even with all these things in place, visa can be rejected without any reason given why.
    Last edited by MasterBait; 28 October 2019, 09:44.
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
      the extreme right tabloid press
      Such as?

Comment

Despite what the extreme right tabloid press want to make you believe, it is very hard to get visa for the UK. If you have no job, bank account, insurance, house, family left behind, return ticket, sponsors in the UK you will not get a visa.
        And even with all these things in place, visa can be rejected without any reason given why.
        You didn't really need to say the first half of the first sentence. Says a lot about you and rather detracts from the point being made that it's hard to get a visa so that's why people use traffickers to get into the country.

I do a lot of work with Border Force at Heathrow and the tales I hear about kids being smuggled in are awful. Then you get some middle class people complaining about proving their kids belong to them because of name mismatches and perhaps the kids inherited more of their father's features than their mother's. But, apparently, basic checks for parentage / guardianship to stop child trafficking is a discriminatory right wing agenda and we should just let them in all in regardless of the risk of child slavery and prostitution.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          You didn't really need to say the first half of the first sentence. Says a lot about you and rather detracts from the point being made that it's hard to get a visa so that's why people use traffickers to get into the country.

I do a lot of work with Border Force at Heathrow and the tales I hear about kids being smuggled in are awful. Then you get some middle class people complaining about proving their kids belong to them because of name mismatches and perhaps the kids inherited more of their father's features than their mother's. But, apparently, basic checks for parentage / guardianship to stop child trafficking is a discriminatory right wing agenda and we should just let them in all in regardless of the risk of child slavery and prostitution.
          Don't see what child smuggling has to do with this. Someone who wants to visit their family for two weeks in summer or for Christmas and meets all the required conditions should not just be randomly denied visa without any reasons given by the homeoffice. I'm speaking out of personal experience here.
          Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Why wish to settle in the UK?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Does Vietnam have the death penalty? I am hoping one of the victims comes from somewhere that does - then we can can get the perpetrators charged in that country.

Of course putting them in prison for life would be a far better punishment. But there are so few whole life prison terms in the UK.
              Doesn't really matter, as our courts will block extradition attempts for fear of human rights violations. The irony...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Unable to get a visa.
                Possibly unable to get a passport - Vietnam is still a communist state.
                Promise of far richer life than they have in Vietnam.
                Promise of a far freer life than they have in Vietnam.

The ones who make it to Britain find the reality is different - prostitution, slavery etc.

The Sunday Times is saying that they're most - if not all - Vietnamese.
                Promise of a far freer life than they have in Vietnam.
                I worked with a Vietnamese chap once, and he was entirely convinced that the USA was right in trying to stop the Communists from invading South Vietnam, as they did successfully in Korea, but unsuccessfully in Vietnam.. If the ideology is so great, then why are these people trying to escape?

Comment

Don't see what child smuggling has to do with this. Someone who wants to visit their family for two weeks in summer or for Christmas and meets all the required conditions should not just be randomly denied visa without any reasons given by the homeoffice. I'm speaking out of personal experience here.
                  This is a conversation thread about people smuggling, not the difficulties people may have about going on holiday. I guess the news that 39 Vietnamese died in a lorry passed you by.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    I worked with a Vietnamese chap once,

No you didn't.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                      I worked with a Vietnamese chap once, and he was entirely convinced that the USA was right in trying to stop the Communists from invading South Vietnam, as they did successfully in Korea, but unsuccessfully in Vietnam.. If the ideology is so great, then why are these people trying to escape?
                      The ideology itself isn't that bad. It's just that it goes against basic human nature and is impossible to achieve as evident by the most of the implementations sucking. It sort of worked on a smaller scale for Israeli kibbutz, but even there are in decline.

Comment

Working...
                      X