• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the need to escape from Vietnam using traffickers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the need to escape from Vietnam using traffickers?

Genuine but maybe a stupid question: from Vietnam can’t someone just catch a plane to London on a tourist visa and then overstay?

The press seems almost certain that one of the victims is from Vietnam and paid approx £30,000 to be smuggled to the UK.

This is terribly sad and even more so if they could have spent a lot less to travel here safely and legally even if the intention was to remain illegally.

Maybe they couldn't get a visa? Or don't have a passport?

Comment

Unable to get a visa.
      Possibly unable to get a passport - Vietnam is still a communist state.
      Promise of far richer life than they have in Vietnam.
      Promise of a far freer life than they have in Vietnam.

The ones who make it to Britain find the reality is different - prostitution, slavery etc.

The Sunday Times is saying that they're most - if not all - Vietnamese.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Genuine but maybe a stupid question: from Vietnam can’t someone just catch a plane to London on a tourist visa and then overstay?

The press seems almost certain that one of the victims is from Vietnam and paid approx £30,000 to be smuggled to the UK.

This is terribly sad and even more so if they could have spent a lot less to travel here safely and legally even if the intention was to remain illegally.
        They don't pay upfront. The £30k is a debt to the gang that smuggles them over, meaning they are effectively enslaved for life. Where do you think your average Vietnamese teenager/twenty-something is going to find £30k?
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Where do you think your average Vietnamese teenager/twenty-something is going to find £30k?
          Well I wondered that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            They don't pay upfront. The £30k is a debt to the gang that smuggles them over, meaning they are effectively enslaved for life. Where do you think your average Vietnamese teenager/twenty-something is going to find £30k?
            Not strictly true. Quite often the parents will 'pawn' (as it's referred to in Vietnam) their homes to the banks and give this money to their children with the hope that the children will earn significantly more in the UK and send enough to allow the parents to buy back their homes.

Very sad.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Does Vietnam have the death penalty? I am hoping one of the victims comes from somewhere that does - then we can can get the perpetrators charged in that country.

Of course putting them in prison for life would be a far better punishment. But there are so few whole life prison terms in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Does Vietnam have the death penalty? I am hoping one of the victims comes from somewhere that does - then we can can get the perpetrators charged in that country.

Of course putting them in prison for life would be a far better punishment. But there are so few whole life prison terms in the UK.
                Yes for drug possession. It keeps me in constant fear.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  Good. Remind me of your address again?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    Oh dear, 'ow sad. You chose to move there.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X