• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Antisemitism in Christianity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q.E.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      1=1 is a class of propositions known as tautologies.
      It may be. But I was looking at 1+1=2, which is a provable proposition using the axioms of Peano arithmetic, easily extendible to the Integers.

The probability of x being the sum of 1+1, for any randomly selected x is as near to zero as makes no odds.

Ergo, a very low probability of one solution being true is not a non existence proof. There's a logical consequence of this regarding Xoggoth's statement which weakens mine - I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      Wow is this BS what your sectleader tells you to proof the existence of a goddess?
      No, it a demonstration that Xoggoth was (perhaps) employing a logical fallacy, using basic maths.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        No, it a demonstration that Xoggoth was (perhaps) employing a logical fallacy, using basic maths.
        In a different category of mathematics (statistics) what he's saying is true.

Hell, let's create an analogy, let's say a religion is a mathematical proof, all the "proofs" are resulting in wildly different answers... I'd say we're not on the right lines with this religion BS.

Comment

Antisemitism in Christianity

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          The enormous numbers of different beliefs is the best argument against religion. As they can't all be true what is the likelihood that any one of them is?
          It may be. But I was looking at 1+1=2, which is a provable proposition using the axioms of Peano arithmetic, easily extendible to the Integers.

The probability of x being the sum of 1+1, for any randomly selected x is as near to zero as makes no odds.

Ergo, a very low probability of one solution being true is not a non existence proof. There's a logical consequence of this regarding Xoggoth's statement which weakens mine - I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

One of the logical consequences (and I’m not sure if this is the one you’re looking for) is that it reduces the likelihood of any religion on Earth following the One True Creator to be equally low.

Wouldn't say I was an atheist exactly; a creator seems as good a theory as any for existence, but there isn't a jot of evidence that mankind has any special place in his plans.
          There’s a theory that goes:
          Given the exponential developments in computing over the past 100 years, we are now able to model and simulate ecosystems. Not very well yet though.
          Given enough time (another 100 years? 1000?), it’s likely that we will be able to realistically model an entire planet’s ecosystem.
          Given enough time (10,000 years?) we would be able to model a universe.

There is, therefore, a probability (see NAT’s probability index above) that this has already been done somewhere in the universe.

There is, therefore, a probability that we are existing inside a modelled universe, and that outside the simulation there is a Creator.

It is, unfortunately, most unlikely that that Creator knows that we exist or cares for us particularly.

Comment

There is, therefore, a probability that we are existing inside a modelled universe, and that outside the simulation there is a Creator
            Maybe. These creators could have become so sophisticated that our own universe is now a very outdated creation. Our gods could be their kids playing with Lego models.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Irrelevant.
              1+1 = -99999999 : False
              1+1 = -99999998 : False
              1+1 = -99999997 : False
              1+1 = 0 : False
              1+1 = 1 : False
              1+1 = 2 : True
              1+1 = 3 : False
              1+1 = 4 : False

What are the odds that 1+1=2? Basically zero. But it's still true (In the decimal system using standard rules of arithmetic and the set of all the integers).
              Unfortunately NAT, you can make up any flawed logic to try to 'prove' something, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Humans all over the globe, at all stages of our evolution, have created 'gods' to explain what our knowledge cannot . Whether this be the pigmies in the Amazon or the Himba in the Kalahari. Tribes that have never met each other have all created gods. It's what humans do. As we understand more about the planet, and science helps us to explain that that our ancestors couldn't, there is less of a need to have a 'god' spirit to explain the unknown.

The major religions now are based on those that had the strongest armies and could force their religion on the weaker tribes.

Religion is used a lot in poorer nations to keep people under control, as it was in the western powers years ago. Make the poor believe that they have something better in the afterlife and they will accept the tulip they have today.

Each to their own though. It bothers me not if someone is religious so long as they don't try to convert me. Everyone has a right to waste what little time they have on this planet
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

It bothers me not if someone is religious so long as they don't try to convert me
                Or, more importantly, think that society's laws and practices should be determined by religious doctrines. When a law is based on ancient scripture, it is pretty hard to overturn it.

Religion can have a positive side in that it makes people happier, so I'm not bothered either if they keep it to themselves. The religious people I know are all pleasant tolerant sorts. My sister in law told me once "If gays are evil, god wouldn't have made them"
                bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Or, more importantly, think that society's laws and practices should be determined by religious doctrines. When a law is based on ancient scripture, it is pretty hard to overturn it.

Religion can have a positive side in that it makes people happier, so I'm not bothered either if they keep it to themselves. The religious people I know are all pleasant tolerant sorts. My sister in law told me once "If gays are evil, god wouldn't have made them"
                  "If God was good, he/she wouldn't riddle kids in Africa with AIDs."

Comment

"If God was good, he/she wouldn't riddle kids in Africa with AIDs"
                    Quite. And if god is both good and almighty where did evil come from?
                    bloggoth

Comment

Quite. And if god is both good and almighty where did evil come from?
                      Exactly. It is argued that god made everything, therefore he chose to make evil (and evil's little minions like the devil) and allowed us, his creations, to become evil. But why? If he created everything then why did he not just make us all 'good' so that we could all live happy lives? He/she either doesn't exist, or he/she is a bit of a twunt who doesn't deserve to be worshiped!
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X