• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs call for action on banks, Big Tech to avoid IT failures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPs call for action on banks, Big Tech to avoid IT failures

Interesting story from Reuters:

MPs call for action on banks, Big Tech to avoid IT failures - Reuters

Soon, financial services will be all the UK has to offer. Banks are going to feel less like UK tenants and more ike UK landlords.

Why should the banks care what MPs think?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Soon, financial services will be all the UK has to offer. Banks are going to feel less like UK tenants and more ike UK landlords.

Why should the banks care what MPs think?
      I don't know about that mate, we've just won another $200mn order.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        I don't know about that mate, we've just won another $200mn order.
        feck me that's a lot of pizza's

Comment

I haven't got access to the latest year's Gartner figures but alongside professional services, banks and other financial services companies spent the highest percentage of revenue on IT amongst 20 odd sectors globally only a few years ago.

You have to wonder where all that money is going for there to continually be so many outages for critical systems. I assume a lot of the spend is driven by regulation but even so, spending 50% more than any other sector makes me think banks have been using too many expensive contractors....

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            feck me that's a lot of pizza's
            It's even more "Smarties", Bob.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              I haven't got access to the latest year's Gartner figures but alongside professional services, banks and other financial services companies spent the highest percentage of revenue on IT amongst 20 odd sectors globally only a few years ago.

You have to wonder where all that money is going for there to continually be so many outages for critical systems. I assume a lot of the spend is driven by regulation but even so, spending 50% more than any other sector makes me think banks have been using too many expensive contractors....
              Most of the worst failures seem to happen in retail banking (where they outsource and use poorly paid permies), not investment banking (with the expensive contractors).

Comment

The expensive contractors have long gone. Its all off-shored or near-shored now.

Banks just don't !"get" the value of IT.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                  Most of the worst failures seem to happen in retail banking (where they outsource and use poorly paid permies), not investment banking (with the expensive contractors).
                  Retail banking failures are the ones that affect ordinary consumers and the public in large numbers. I guess there are investment banking failures, we just never get to hear much about them in the media?

Comment

It's going to the lowest bidder. And then to the next lowest bidder, to fix some of the mistakes from the first time. And then the next lowest...well, you get the idea.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X