• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

16 year olds are to be given the vote...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Let's educate kids about politics and then further down the line let them vote.
    When will they educate you? Or have they given up on you <modsnip>
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 30 October 2019, 12:32. Reason: Inappropriate language
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      16/18 is a weird anomaly.

You can have sex with your partner at 16, and marry them with/without parental permission depending where you live.

You can drink (beer, wine but not spirits) to celebrate said marriage as long as you're accompanied by a parent and a meal is included.

You can legally conceive and give birth to a child, but not authorise decisions about its future.

I'm "for" votes at 16 - sooner we get kids involved with politics, the better.
      Agree in principle, but only after complete revamp of the electoral laws.

The Cambridge analytica fiasco, exposed how easy it is to manipulate popular opinion via social media. 16 y.o. are way to susceptible to social media influence.

Also the case is more in letting them vote in a referendum with long lasting effects that would affect their lives long term, skipping a GE at 16 will still allow you to make your voice heard at 20, so not that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        If at 16 you can load a truck full of Muslim Men and Boys knowing that they go to their deaths then you know you're a Dutch Coward. Now seriously **** off.
        Ziggy's and BR15's (who liked the post) racism and imbecility stand out again.
        A), off topic and B) Remind me where the last lorry and its driver came from filled with dead Asians, oh yeah The UK
        Last edited by Eirikur; 30 October 2019, 11:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          A), off topic and B) Remind me where the last lorry and its driver came from filled with dead Asians, oh yeah The UK
          as i Keep having to tell you, i'm Not racist.
          It's You i don't like. specifically. you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Yep, and he's going to end up serving a lot of time for his criminal actions.

Want to tell me about the Dutch soldiers fates?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              16/18 is a weird anomaly.

You can have sex with your partner at 16, and marry them with/without parental permission depending where you live.

You can drink (beer, wine but not spirits) to celebrate said marriage as long as you're accompanied by a parent and a meal is included.

You can legally conceive and give birth to a child, but not authorise decisions about its future.

I'm "for" votes at 16 - sooner we get kids involved with politics, the better.
              It is a weird time and the list goes on and I totally agree getting kids involved with politics BUT I most certainly don't agree that letting them vote is part of that involvement. I'm sure it will happen at some point in the future as people get more mature as they get younger but I just don't think school kids have enough life experience or understand enough to be making decisions that affect the whole country. Agreed there are enough people old enough that really shouldn't be allowed to vote but (in most cases) they've been around long enough, paid their taxes and been affected by gov changes. Kids haven't.

Totally for education and involvement, totally against letting them vote.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It is a weird time and the list goes on and I totally agree getting kids involved with politics BUT I most certainly don't agree that letting them vote is part of that involvement. I'm sure it will happen at some point in the future as people get more mature as they get younger but I just don't think school kids have enough life experience or understand enough to be making decisions that affect the whole country. Agreed there are enough people old enough that really shouldn't be allowed to vote but (in most cases) they've been around long enough, paid their taxes and been affected by gov changes. Kids haven't.

Totally for education and involvement, totally against letting them vote.
                They were allowed to vote for the current Conservative leader.

Perhaps you have a point.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I just don't think school kids have enough life experience or understand enough to be making decisions that affect the whole country.
                  So you let old people who have no social/economical importance anymore decide for their futures
                  Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
                    So you let old people who have no social/economical importance anymore decide for their futures
                    I did put that caveat in already...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      Agree in principle, but only after complete revamp of the electoral laws.

The Cambridge analytica fiasco, exposed how easy it is to manipulate popular opinion via social media. 16 y.o. are way to susceptible to social media influence.

Also the case is more in letting them vote in a referendum with long lasting effects that would affect their lives long term, skipping a GE at 16 will still allow you to make your voice heard at 20, so not that big of a deal.
                      Social media, that's where it's all at. Look, just 10,000 smackers gets you 1 million targeted ads:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X