• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

16 year olds are to be given the vote...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If at 16 you can join the army and die for your government why not have a vote for it?
    If at 16 you can load a truck full of Muslim Men and Boys knowing that they go to their deaths then you know you're a Dutch Coward. Now seriously **** off.

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    aye, right
    Tell me you were a "Junior Leader", one of Sutton Coldfield's finest!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

16/18 is a weird anomaly.

You can have sex with your partner at 16, and marry them with/without parental permission depending where you live.

You can drink (beer, wine but not spirits) to celebrate said marriage as long as you're accompanied by a parent and a meal is included.

You can legally conceive and give birth to a child, but not authorise decisions about its future.

I'm "for" votes at 16 - sooner we get kids involved with politics, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

You can have sex with your partner at 16, and marry them with/without parental permission depending where you live.

You can drink (beer, wine but not spirits) to celebrate said marriage as long as you're accompanied by a parent and a meal is included.

You can legally conceive and give birth to a child, but not authorise decisions about its future.

Let's educate kids about politics and then further down the line let them vote.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I reckon 25. Brains are not formed properly until then. Apparently its why there are mass murderers at that age. That and the easy availability of guns.

Or we could only allow Octochamps to vote.....

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
            Fake Lefty News

British Army soldiers can sign up at the age of 16 but they cannot be sent to fight in a war zone or engage in a hostile situation until the age of 18.
            What about the navy? Jack Cornwell was 16 when he was killed. Has this now been changed?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              What about the navy? Jack Cornwell was 16 when he was killed. Has this now been changed?
              That was in the first World War!!

Currently you can join the Navy at 16 but need parental permission to do so.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                If at 16 you can join the army and die for your government why not have a vote for it?
                You need parental consent to join the armed forces under the age of 18, because you are legally a child.

So voting under 18? Only by consent of parent or guardian if at all.

Comment

I'm sure the Monster Raving Loony Party would be on board with this.

All they have to do is promise free jelly for everyone and they'll be a shoe in.

Comment

Does the fog around your head ever clear?

Comment

There's not much demand for 12 year old powder monkeys in the Navy these days.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X