• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We're Going After the Tax Dodgers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    This may not be a very popular opinion on this board but many poor people are not poor entirely due to their own profligacy. We all know the stories of unemployed people with 8 kids and Sky TV but that's not the norm.
    With 8 kids they won't be watching Virgin, will they? FFS!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

This may not be a very popular opinion on this board but many poor people are not poor entirely due to their own profligacy. We all know the stories of unemployed people with 8 kids and Sky TV but that's not the norm.
      I think we all understand that society is much more complex but also that the model and solutions that politicians submit are equally unrealistic and naïve. Which is why they always end up doing more harm than good, regardless of their motives.

I think I've watched every government in my life harm the very segment they claim to want to help the most - which is why they end up out of office again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Yes.

As much as every other person on this forum and as much as anyone else who works hard, owns a house, invests for their old age, educates their children to be good for the world and doesn't scrounge off the system.

Apparently that makes me and a heap of other good people the target of McDonnellonomics: drag everyone down to the lowest level and ensure that they are dependent on the state.
        drag everyone down to the lowest level and ensure that they are dependent on the state
        which has always been Labour policy.

A Communist is someone who has nothing and wants to share it with everyone else.

Comment

no one asks why they are poor though.

that's not the norm
          I guess then that you live in a relatively affluent area in England. Spend some time in Wales in the staunch Labour areas and you might be enlightened.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

I guess then that you live in a relatively affluent area in England. Spend some time in Wales in the staunch Labour areas and you might be enlightened.
            Do you have children?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Do you have children?
              Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

Can they not get on their bikes and find work?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Indeed some people are unfortunate but many rich people have had bad breaks as well, they worked to overcome them.

There are plenty of causes and housing cost is probably the biggest. Lack of decent jobs at decent wages as well. Hmm I wonder what we can do to improve those situations?

UK poverty: Causes, costs and solutions | JRF

but pay day lenders & other errors of judgement can have massive effects

How I cleared my GBP20k debt - BBC News

here is a lady that turned her life around. She pretty much ticks all the boxes for causes but overcame the situation. She has my admiration.

Personally I would close or at least heavily limit the interest rates on all payday lending.

I know plenty of people who get themselves into massive debts and as a result live poor despite earning over the average wage. Its not just joblessness, disability, gambling & drinking that drive this.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Whatever anyone thinks of Boris or Jez,

I can confidently say that 5 years of a Corbyn Govt will create 20 years of austerity like never seen before.

- business enterprise & investment will fall
                    - spending will rise big time

So Jez may help the 'working class' or whatever labels he uses but once he leaves Govt they will pick up the pieces more than anyone else a la Venezuela

I hate this rich and poor and class war.

And the thread is wrong - it wont be tax dodgers it will be hard working 'working/middle class'.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Do you have children?
                      yes, 3 lovely daughters, two of which have Masters degrees, financed by myself, and 7 beautiful grand children. 5 grand daughters and two grand sons, one of which is autistic. I have had to endure the death of my son and another grandson, so don't even attempt to lecture me on life.

Comment

Working...
                      X