• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We're Going After the Tax Dodgers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely there's no chance Corbyn can win a majority.

But perhaps there could be a loose coalition of Labour, the SNP, the Lib Dems, despite the recent fiasco over the national unity govt.

Economist delved into that scenario here: A Labour government would radically transform Britain - Downing Street calling

The upshot is that they can do a lot of damage, but to go the whole hog they need legislation. SNP could be partly bought off with another indyref, but it would still be an uphill battle.

Comment

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
      Surely there's no way people will vote for Brexit...

People fed up voted for Brexit. The best political move you can make is to align yourselves with the fed up and make fixing being fed up your main policy.

I.e. exactly what jezza has done. Down with all the sorts of things that you hate! Vote for me!

It's just crazy enough to work because people don't give a tulip about the minutia, they just want the bad people to be punished and the country to be fixed through change (any change, but just CHANGE, something different), anyone offering that has a good chance of being given the job.

I do think it will be disasterous but it could shake things up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
        Surely there's no way people will vote for Brexit...
        Entirely fair comment.

I still think some sort of coalition is the likelier outcome and under-discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by zerosum View Post

But perhaps there could be a loose coalition of Labour, the SNP, the Lib Dems, despite the recent fiasco over the national unity govt.

Economist delved into that scenario here: A Labour government would radically transform Britain - Downing Street calling

The upshot is that they can do a lot of damage, but to go the whole hog they need legislation. SNP could be partly bought off with another indyref, but it would still be an uphill battle.
          "It praised participatory democracy in Venezuela" - that ended well

Comment

Working...
          X