• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible 2020 Boom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible 2020 Boom

Current contract due to finish end of Dec but client would like me to extend - ideally they want a perm to do the role I've set up, which is right for them but not me. They haven't offered me the job yet, so i haven't turned it down but i do keep saying they need to find a perm to head up the projects team long term. I work from home 100%, 3 days a week.

Out the blue a consultancy i used to work with a few years ago contacted me to see if i'd like to do some work for them in the new year. They know my circumstances - wife has a chronic illness that is moving into the final stages and that I'm her 24/7 carer so need to work from home. They have a model where they do some work on site and also provide a support and consultancy remotely as they have clients all over the world. This would allow me to continue caring for my wife for as long as we have left together, plus still do a contract role that keeps my head in a world away from my wife's illness. This could be a 2 or 3 day a week set up, with hours to suit my carer role.

I was thinking about packing work in completely come the new year but these options are tempting me to carry on longer. I don't need the money, but I do welcome the distraction work provides.

The world really is changing. Going are the days where you have to be in the office 8 hours a day under the beady gaze of the big boss man.

Just have to ensure I keep enough hours a day free to 'debate' on here
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

congrats good news.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Comment

Yay, nice when it works with life commitments
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Comment

Comment

(but also )
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

That is good news indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Possible 2020 Boom

Comment

Sorry to hear about your wife.

Good news and good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X