• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of going to the Odeon - rant warning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    children?
    sh1t.

it amazes me that you've been allowed to pollute the human gene pool.
    FTFY
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
      £4.99 for the odeon - round here it’s £3 as it’s a crap cinema they keep open as it covers costs just bout.

The local Vue is £5 a show and I think one price drives the other without the odeon we probably would be paying £8 a ticket.
      It was a Vue as it transpires.

I prefer to wait until the dvd is down to £5 rather than go deaf by attending the cinema.

My companion last week uses earplugs to reduce the din a bit.

I do rather miss the charm of Ye Olde Studio Cinema in Swansea which was a home brewed multiplex in a redundant church.

Most memorable for getting the reels mixed up when showing The Deer Hunter which made the story a bit more confusing for those who hadn't seen it before.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 November 2019, 19:03.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The cinema can be horribly expensive. I tend to go to the Curzon and it's about £18 a ticket for non members. Add in some wine and/or G&T and nibbles and there's not much change from £50 for two people.

Back when I lived on the coast, I used to go to The Dome in Worthing, which had £1 Mondays. Whichever film they had on that week was always just £1. I hear it's now gone up to £3.

Cinema doesn't have to be expensive but for some reason it really is in areas where there is little competition or the competition is vying for the 'premium' product.

And, agree, it can sometimes.be way too loud. No idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          children?
          sh1t.

it saddens me that you've managed to pollute the human gene pool.
          They're not his.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            They're not his.

shocking his family are glad they are NATs.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              The cinema can be horribly expensive. I tend to go to the Curzon and it's about £18 a ticket for non members. Add in some wine and/or G&T and nibbles and there's not much change from £50 for two people.

Back when I lived on the coast, I used to go to The Dome in Worthing, which had £1 Mondays. Whichever film they had on that week was always just £1. I hear it's now gone up to £3.

Cinema doesn't have to be expensive but for some reason it really is in areas where there is little competition or the competition is vying for the 'premium' product.

And, agree, it can sometimes.be way too loud. No idea why.
              So you paid roughly the same as Scooty, but you didn't have to sit with 2 kids, and you had some proper drinks. Sounds like you were getting an absolute bargain...Me & Mrs M go to the local Everyman for much the same reasons...

Aah, Worthing Pier. Many a miserable summer holiday Saturday spent wasting my meagre pocket money on the rip-off slots on there. It was also where, as a ten-year-old, I once heard two young teenagers setting up their fishing tackle and discussing the likelihood of success. One said he'd asked his elder brother what they were most likely to catch on Worthing Pier, and the answer given was "syphilis". A few years later, I finally understood the joke...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If you want to see the latest film = Torrents
                If you want an "experience" = Pay the price and go to the cinema

When we take the kids I use my Cineworld Unlimited which gives me a 25% discount on the crap they want, when it's just MrsMac and I we go to Everyman big comfy double sofas, drinks brought to your seat etc but as a babysitter usually costs us a minimum of £40, throw in £20 for Uber we know it's going to be an expensive evening so make the most of it.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I suspect there's many out there that can't afford what we paid, which might explain why the auditorium seemed sparsely populated. We could afford to pay, but I hate being ripped off. Like others have said, it no doubt comes down to competition and this venue had none.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Was in Bath recently. Took the kids to see Farmageddon, quite funny. Although the smile was wiped off my face having to part with £55 for the four us. 55 quid?!! These guys are taking the pi$$!! That was apparently a special price including some popcorn, not actually that much.

Looked up the cost for the four of us here in Munich, €24.

It does not surprise me fewer and fewer folks are going to the cinema in the UK. Total pants down. That business is shurly fast going down the tubes.

Apart from the price, me ears were left bleeding. Has the population gone deaf? Thought it was just me but both kids were left with sore ears at the end. You'd think you were in an old folks home the level of the volume.
                    You're way off the mark. Paid cinema admissions have been on a broadly upward trend since the early 80s and were the highest last year since 1970. UK cinema admissions and box office | Annual admissions | UK Cinema Association

Even with the rise of first video, then DVD and now streaming, it's still a relatively inexpensive form of entertainment. Try going to a concert, theatre or football match in comparison. Watching a film on your home TV cannot compare to the cinema experience.

Another factor is the cost of film making and distribution. It's not uncommon for a cinema to pay 50% of the ticket price to the distributor for top films. That's why they sell you popcorn which is the world's highest profit margin consumer product apparently...

Comment

I agree about experience. In fairness I'm making my comparisons to cinemas here in Munich, where normally I'm paying half for the same experience. Which includes a beer. In a glass! Not a plastic cup.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X