• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Super-rich prepare to leave UK 'within minutes' if Labour wins election

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No of course not, none of their staff, yachts, hypercars, private jets were ever here...
    not in a sh1tehole like swindon, no.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      No of course not, none of their staff, yachts, hypercars, private jets were ever here...
      Some will be assets, some will be leased via their offshore companies, none will be purchased here or tax paid on them here.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        not in a sh1tehole like swindon, no.
        for train buffs, Swindon is like Mecca.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          for train buffs, Swindon is like Mecca.
          Play a lot of Bingo in Swindon, do they?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I'm over 55. If Labour get in, first thing I'm doing is taking my 25% tax free pension allowance. Be mad not to.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I'm over 55. If Labour get in, first thing I'm doing is taking my 25% tax free pension allowance. Be mad not to.
              You should have done that before the referendum result (if old enough) and got out of sterling.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                You should have done that before the referendum result (if old enough) and got out of sterling.
                Not that old.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I think that you are all polarised.

The current Conservatives without moderates are right wing, not far right wing, but, crucially, incompetent when it comes to money and the economy. The fact that is has been published today they've tried to use the independent civil service to try to discredit Labour's plans instead of enrolling the civil service to help create their own plans shows that they ahve zero plans of their own - damning. No brexit impact assessments, no true plans except false promises of spend, spend, spend; it's all very 1980's and backwards.

Labour's current lot aren't far left, just as the Tories aren't far right. They're just left. It seems to be the opposite side flinging badges around without recognising the traits of their own party.

I strongly suspect that brexiteers - former Labour/LibDem voters - will vote for the brexit party or, at a push, the New Conservatives.

Voting based on a single issue is moronic, but I suspect the brexit crowd with 'normal' jobs will go for the brexit party to spite the Conservatives or stick with the Conservatives.

The outcome is likely a hung parliament.
                  The best outcome for the country is a softer elongated brexit, to allow time for the country to adapt to the new world, with a heavily limited Labour government supported by the Green Party, LibDems, SNP and the welsh Plaid.

Why? Simple: the EU I've seen provided worker protections and mandated working conditions that have seen the lot improved over the decades. Given what the Tories are instigating on the consulting and contractor industry I have zero doubt this will be applied within a couple of years to normal working folk.
                  This would likely involved an increase to 45 hours/week, removal of rights to flexible working requests for employees and all the things that make life that little bit easier for the working family on low to average income - keeping in mind that not everybody has the brains of acuity of thought to work in complex jobs I think we should remain a considerate country to those who still work hard by providing better conditions to such people.

As someone who is originally an outsider I see the current New Conservative party, minus the moderates, as a real danger to the UK. You may not see the wood for the trees but I can assure you, having worked in the USA, that it's an awful environment to work in when worker rights are diluted or entirely removed and, given the incompetence of the current government I think that you'll get brexit regardless of who you vote for in all honesty.

I've said it before and will say again now: it's a shame there's no Social Democrat party, as in Denmark, Germany, Sweden and Norway. Quality services, higher taxes, a better shared sense of community. The UK is split by media incitement to fight our differences rather than come together and face that we probably do need to aim for a better quality working society with a plan towards even better working conditions, rather than erosion and a trend towards the USA.
                  Money isn't everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    I strongly suspect that brexiteers - former Labour/LibDem voters - will vote for the brexit party or, at a push, the New Conservatives.

Not a clucking bells chance.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                      I think that you are all polarised.

The current Conservatives without moderates are right wing, not far right wing, but, crucially, incompetent when it comes to money and the economy. The fact that is has been published today they've tried to use the independent civil service to try to discredit Labour's plans instead of enrolling the civil service to help create their own plans shows that they ahve zero plans of their own - damning. No brexit impact assessments, no true plans except false promises of spend, spend, spend; it's all very 1980's and backwards.

Labour's current lot aren't far left, just as the Tories aren't far right. They're just left. It seems to be the opposite side flinging badges around without recognising the traits of their own party.

Voting based on a single issue is moronic, but I suspect the brexit crowd with 'normal' jobs will go for the brexit party to spite the Conservatives or stick with the Conservatives.

The outcome is likely a hung parliament.
                      The best outcome for the country is a softer elongated brexit, to allow time for the country to adapt to the new world, with a heavily limited Labour government supported by the Green Party, LibDems, SNP and the welsh Plaid.

Why? Simple: the EU I've seen provided worker protections and mandated working conditions that have seen the lot improved over the decades. Given what the Tories are instigating on the consulting and contractor industry I have zero doubt this will be applied within a couple of years to normal working folk.
                      This would likely involved an increase to 45 hours/week, removal of rights to flexible working requests for employees and all the things that make life that little bit easier for the working family on low to average income - keeping in mind that not everybody has the brains of acuity of thought to work in complex jobs I think we should remain a considerate country to those who still work hard by providing better conditions to such people.

As someone who is originally an outsider I see the current New Conservative party, minus the moderates, as a real danger to the UK. You may not see the wood for the trees but I can assure you, having worked in the USA, that it's an awful environment to work in when worker rights are diluted or entirely removed and, given the incompetence of the current government I think that you'll get brexit regardless of who you vote for in all honesty.

I've said it before and will say again now: it's a shame there's no Social Democrat party, as in Denmark, Germany, Sweden and Norway. Quality services, higher taxes, a better shared sense of community. The UK is split by media incitement to fight our differences rather than come together and face that we probably do need to aim for a better quality working society with a plan towards even better working conditions, rather than erosion and a trend towards the USA.
                      Money isn't everything.
                      Totally agree. I've met/worked with many people from those countries who do pay more in tax but get better public services and crucially, on many indices, have a better quality of life than people in the UK.

Not sure if there is an equivalent Social Democratic type party in Netherlands, Belgium and France but those countries seem to have broadly similar principles of higher taxes but much better services/quality of life too. Maybe Canada too, not sure?

Comment

Working...
                      X