Super-rich prepare to leave UK 'within minutes' if Labour wins election Super-rich prepare to leave UK 'within minutes' if Labour wins election - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep 's job has never been outsourced

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Totally agree. I've met/worked with many people from those countries who do pay more in tax but get better public services and crucially, on many indices, have a better quality of life than people in the UK.

    Not sure if there is an equivalent Social Democratic type party in Netherlands, Belgium and France but those countries seem to have broadly similar principles of higher taxes but much better services/quality of life too. Maybe Canada too, not sure?
    Or rather all/most of the mainland European countries... Even countries like Portugal, Spain or Italy with their very inefficient public service has probably better quality of public services than the average you get in the UK!
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  2. #42

    Double Godlike!

    BR14 is always on top

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    11,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Totally agree. I've met/worked with many people from those countries who do pay more in tax but get better public services and crucially, on many indices, have a better quality of life than people in the UK.

    Not sure if there is an equivalent Social Democratic type party in Netherlands, Belgium and France but those countries seem to have broadly similar principles of higher taxes but much better services/quality of life too. Maybe Canada too, not sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by CryingSheep View Post
    Or rather all/most of the mainland European countries... Even countries like Portugal, Spain or Italy with their very inefficient public service has probably better quality of public services than the average you get in the UK!
    there you go, then.
    stop whining on here and feck off.

    HTH.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  3. #43

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep 's job has never been outsourced

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    there you go, then.
    stop whining on here and feck off.

    HTH.
    That's your solution for everything!?

    I'm not too worried as I have enough to not need to rely on public services, was just trying to think on other less fortunate people...

    To be honest the tulipty weather worries me more and that not even all the money in the world can change
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  4. #44

    Double Godlike!

    BR14 is always on top

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    11,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingSheep View Post
    That's your solution for everything!?

    I'm not too worried as I have enough to not need to rely on public services, was just trying to think on other less fortunate people...

    To be honest the tulipty weather worries me more and that not even all the money in the world can change
    not everything, just whining feckers like you and your mates.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  5. #45

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep 's job has never been outsourced

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    not everything, just whining feckers like you and your mates.
    By my mates you mean people that actually travel and have other term of comparison other than Hull or Middlesbrough to make their own opinions?
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  6. #46

    Double Godlike!

    BR14 is always on top

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    11,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingSheep View Post
    By my mates you mean people that actually travel and have other term of comparison other than Hull or Middlesbrough to make their own opinions?
    no
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  7. #47

    More time posting than coding

    rogerfederer 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingSheep View Post
    Or rather all/most of the mainland European countries... Even countries like Portugal, Spain or Italy with their very inefficient public service has probably better quality of public services than the average you get in the UK!

    There are various useful charts from the OECD website, I recommend having a browse.

    https://data.oecd.org/chart/5FaW

    Have a play yourself and add selective countries and averages to see just how low the UK is compared to selective fully developed EU countries and even countries around the world:

    Tax - Tax revenue - OECD Data

    As you can see from this graph, the UK is quite low on the scale and below the average spend; consider that many OECD countries are not fully developed (but are not developing like Brazil, Russia, India or China) it's clear the UK needs higher tax revenue in order to provide higher quality services. If we want better services then the paranoia about various slight tax increases on higher earners needs to be relaxed, as if you fancy being Lithuania economically then why not just go and live there instead?

    People need to accept that having more tax in your own pocket will be removed anyway by increased private healthcare and services costs to the extent that you'll not be any better off and you won't get better treatment or services. See: USA.
    Last edited by rogerfederer; 7th November 2019 at 11:04.

  8. #48

    Godlike

    Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfederer View Post
    There are various useful charts from the OECD website, I recommend having a browse.

    https://data.oecd.org/chart/5FaW

    Have a play yourself and add selective countries and averages to see just how low the UK is compared to selective fully developed EU countries and even countries around the world:

    Tax - Tax revenue - OECD Data

    As you can see from this graph, the UK is quite low on the scale and below the average spend; consider that many OECD countries are not fully developed (but are not developing like Brazil, Russia, India or China) it's clear the UK needs higher tax revenue in order to provide higher quality services. If we want better services then the paranoia about various slight tax increases on higher earners needs to be relaxed, as if you fancy being Lithuania economically then why not just go and live there instead?

    People need to accept that having more tax in your own pocket will be removed anyway by increased private healthcare and services costs to the extent that you'll not be any better off and you won't get better treatment or services. See: USA.
    How's your new contract at HMRC progressing?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

  9. #49

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is always on top

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,183

    Default

    Tax == Massive waste + Bloated Public Sector

    Lean and mean, zero taxes is about right.

    Okay, 1% taxation would be acceptable.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •