• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Super-rich prepare to leave UK 'within minutes' if Labour wins election

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    Totally agree. I've met/worked with many people from those countries who do pay more in tax but get better public services and crucially, on many indices, have a better quality of life than people in the UK.

Not sure if there is an equivalent Social Democratic type party in Netherlands, Belgium and France but those countries seem to have broadly similar principles of higher taxes but much better services/quality of life too. Maybe Canada too, not sure?
    Or rather all/most of the mainland European countries... Even countries like Portugal, Spain or Italy with their very inefficient public service has probably better quality of public services than the average you get in the UK!
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Totally agree. I've met/worked with many people from those countries who do pay more in tax but get better public services and crucially, on many indices, have a better quality of life than people in the UK.

Not sure if there is an equivalent Social Democratic type party in Netherlands, Belgium and France but those countries seem to have broadly similar principles of higher taxes but much better services/quality of life too. Maybe Canada too, not sure?
      Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
      Or rather all/most of the mainland European countries... Even countries like Portugal, Spain or Italy with their very inefficient public service has probably better quality of public services than the average you get in the UK!
      there you go, then.
      stop whining on here and feck off.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        there you go, then.
        stop whining on here and feck off.

HTH.
        That's your solution for everything!?

I'm not too worried as I have enough to not need to rely on public services, was just trying to think on other less fortunate people...

To be honest the tulipty weather worries me more and that not even all the money in the world can change

Comment

That's your solution for everything!?

I'm not too worried as I have enough to not need to rely on public services, was just trying to think on other less fortunate people...

To be honest the tulipty weather worries me more and that not even all the money in the world can change
          not everything, just whining feckers like you and your mates.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            not everything, just whining feckers like you and your mates.
            By my mates you mean people that actually travel and have other term of comparison other than Hull or Middlesbrough to make their own opinions?

Comment

By my mates you mean people that actually travel and have other term of comparison other than Hull or Middlesbrough to make their own opinions?
              no

Comment

There are various useful charts from the OECD website, I recommend having a browse.

https://data.oecd.org/chart/5FaW

Have a play yourself and add selective countries and averages to see just how low the UK is compared to selective fully developed EU countries and even countries around the world:

Tax - Tax revenue - OECD Data

As you can see from this graph, the UK is quite low on the scale and below the average spend; consider that many OECD countries are not fully developed (but are not developing like Brazil, Russia, India or China) it's clear the UK needs higher tax revenue in order to provide higher quality services. If we want better services then the paranoia about various slight tax increases on higher earners needs to be relaxed, as if you fancy being Lithuania economically then why not just go and live there instead?

People need to accept that having more tax in your own pocket will be removed anyway by increased private healthcare and services costs to the extent that you'll not be any better off and you won't get better treatment or services. See: USA.
                Last edited by rogerfederer; 7 November 2019, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                  There are various useful charts from the OECD website, I recommend having a browse.

https://data.oecd.org/chart/5FaW

Have a play yourself and add selective countries and averages to see just how low the UK is compared to selective fully developed EU countries and even countries around the world:

Tax - Tax revenue - OECD Data

As you can see from this graph, the UK is quite low on the scale and below the average spend; consider that many OECD countries are not fully developed (but are not developing like Brazil, Russia, India or China) it's clear the UK needs higher tax revenue in order to provide higher quality services. If we want better services then the paranoia about various slight tax increases on higher earners needs to be relaxed, as if you fancy being Lithuania economically then why not just go and live there instead?

People need to accept that having more tax in your own pocket will be removed anyway by increased private healthcare and services costs to the extent that you'll not be any better off and you won't get better treatment or services. See: USA.
                  How's your new contract at HMRC progressing?
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Tax == Massive waste + Bloated Public Sector

Lean and mean, zero taxes is about right.

Okay, 1% taxation would be acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                    X