• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A client who likes to know past manager names?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A client who likes to know past manager names?

Just had a call from an agent to say RBOS are looking for some python developers at their offices near High Holborn, and I look like an ideal fit.

The rate sounds good, at least £600 per day he said, but it seems they like as much detail as possible about applicants' previous contracts, and curiously that includes past manager names.

I explained that my policy is to provide references only once an offer is made, but he was adamant that RBOS are less likely to look favourably on a candidate if they don't know who they worked for in several previous contracts.

Anyone contracted or still at RBOS? Are they likely to be looking for python contractors at the moment?

TBH it's pretty obvious this is just blatant fishing for leads, especially as one of the skills they are looking for is not on my CV.

Maybe I'll just make up a few names, or swap names from different clients.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Blimey. That's really unlucky that happens to just you...

Oh, but hang on a minute. It doesn't...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...eferences.html
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Just had a call from an agent to say RBOS are looking for some python developers at their offices near High Holborn, and I look like an ideal fit.

The rate sounds good, at least £600 per day he said, but it seems they like as much detail as possible about applicants' previous contracts, and curiously that includes past manager names.

I explained that my policy is to provide references only once an offer is made, but he was adamant that RBOS are less likely to look favourably on a candidate if they don't know who they worked for in several previous contracts.

Anyone contracted or still at RBOS? Are they likely to be looking for python contractors at the moment?

TBH it's pretty obvious this is just blatant fishing for leads, especially as one of the skills they are looking for is not on my CV.

Give them the name of someone in HR ... that's what I do even when I provide formal references. I never give out the names of managers in the department that I've provided services for. If you don't know who in HR, ping a contact an email asking them who in HR you should refer references to.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Blimey. That's really unlucky that happens to just you...

Oh, but hang on a minute. It doesn't...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...eferences.html
        Tetchy sod!
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Remember also RBOS has declared everyone inside IR35 also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

There is 0% probability this is a real role.

Pure fishing exercise....

Comment

You can borrow a couple of mine: Rick O'Shea & Theresa Green. I can't promise a decent reference, but your pimp might just get the message...eventually...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                You can borrow a couple of mine: Rick O'Shea & Theresa Green. I can't promise a decent reference, but your pimp might just get the message...eventually...
                Chris Peacock is a reliable chap

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Chris Peacock is a reliable chap
                  His brother Drew Peacock has always helped me. And his sister Helena Handbasket.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Mike Hunt and Hugh Jardon spring to mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X