• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never try to be a good guy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never try to be a good guy

'Being a good guy boss left me GBP1.2m in debt' - BBC News

For decades plumbing firm boss Murray Menzies paid into a pension scheme for his workers at a time when it was not compulsory. But a series of complex changes to the law mean the 71-year-old is now being pursued for a huge "pension debt" to cover a shortfall in the fund he used.

The irony in all of this is that Plumbing Pensions is not short of assets. According to recent valuations, there's more than enough money in the fund to cover all its liabilities on an ongoing basis. In short, it doesn't need the money.

The "shortfall" is a hypothetical one - only existing because the Section 75 rule uses a particularly expensive method of calculating the costs should the scheme ever decide to wind up.

The chief executive of Plumbing Pensions, Kate Yates, said these were unfair "unintended consequences" of a well-meaning change in the law.

--------------

Trying to help others does not work. Be selfish.

Funny you should say this but it does seem to be the mantra more and more where I am.

Or rather we are told that is not the case but then when you observe the behaviours of those telling you it is not the case - you can clearly see it is the case.

So yes feck everyone.

Care not who you take a huge tulip on from a great height and you will be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Funny you should say this but it does seem to be the mantra more and more where I am.

Or rather we are told that is not the case but then when you observe the behaviours of those telling you it is not the case - you can clearly see it is the case.

So yes feck everyone.

Care not who you take a huge tulip on from a great height and you will be successful.

Remind me again who was stupid enough to organize the CUK Christmas social.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Remind me again who was stupid enough to organize the CUK Christmas social.
        It was you..

with a little help from me!

but it will be fun whatever I am sure

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It was you..

with a little help from me!

so you two are paying my Bar bill?

I am Jean Claude & I claim my 4 bottles of Vodka.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X