• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gospel according to 11000 Scientists...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gospel according to 11000 Scientists...

Originally posted by /.
    - Use energy far more efficiently and apply strong carbon taxes to cut fossil fuel use
    - Stabilize global population -- currently growing by 200,000 people a day -- using ethical approaches such as longer education for girls
    - End the destruction of nature and restore forests and mangroves to absorb CO2
    - Eat mostly plants and less meat, and reduce food waste
    - Shift economic goals away from GDP growth
    This time next week climate change will be all sorted!

Mind you, it would be interesting to see what their unethical approaches might be...
    Last edited by Zigenare; 6 November 2019, 12:55.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Mind you, it would be interesting to see what their unethical approaches might be...
    <Not the 9'o clock news>Cut the boys' goolies off</Not the 9'o clock news>
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

We've been hearing for decades how educating girls will somehow slow population growth in the developing world, then rising prosperity, then lowering infant mortality rates.

The rate of growth has slowed, that's all.

Comment

Educating girls is a good idea. It doubles the workforce and thereby increases the country's productivity. One ME country (I reckon Jordan, but it wasn't stated) give a Raspberry PI to every secondary schoolgirl in the country for exactly this reason.

Educating girls ends up with them less likely to get pregnant, makes them more aware of birth control measures and more motivated to not become mothers too early. It also makes them a little more arsey towards patriarchy.

It's a shame that morons like you threw your education away.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not sure about the educating girls one but generally sensible, esp reducing population and shifting economic goals away from GDP growth. Many of us already have more than we need.

We should avoid box ticking on green taxes though. It is what we consume that matters, not what we produce. If we make UK businesses less economic and end up importing the same goods/services from lower income countries which are less focused on reducing greenhouse gases it will make things worse.

Unfortunately, climate problems can't be sorted by the likes of the UK. China produces 3 times more greenhouse gases than the whole of the EU.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Good luck getting China to sign up to this.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Good luck getting China to sign up to this.
              Quite. The UK could roll back civilisation to a handful of knuckle draggers and the World's climate would barely notice.

To tackle the real issue the UK should put trade tariffs on the worst offenders (USA and China) so if the consumers in the UK want to buy the foreign tat from those places they pay a green tax on it.

Sorted.

Then we can rest easy having done our bit, once all the election 'pledges' for lowering UK carbon emissions come to fruition. Don't hold your breath on that, or stop paying the taxes to fund all the magic money tree borrowing it will require.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

You can only do that (efficiently) if you leave the EU

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                  You can only do that (efficiently) if you leave the EU
                  Obvs.

Boris will 'get b****t done' () so no worries, trade tariffs all round.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    The rate of growth has slowed, that's all.
                    No it hasn't. But it will do.

World Population Clock: 7.7 Billion People (2019) - Worldometers
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X