• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Utter Noob - need help assessing offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utter Noob - need help assessing offer

Firstly, why contracting....well it appears to be the only way of getting into a certain government project. The project has good medium term viability of 3-5 years.

As I'm coming in towards the end of the financial year, I'm receiving a commitment until end of March, with expectation of renewal from both sides.

I'm more of a subject matter expert than a consultant, my knowledge base is very specific and there are very limited people with similar experience.

I'm being brought in under another company initially. The role is outside IR35.

I'm looking at around £400 a day, plus expenses for travel.

My quandary is over the 4 month initial period....how normal is this?
    I'm not expecting to get dropped after April, but the chance of picking up another contract role in my field are slim, I'd end up looking for a permie role.

Also on the table I have a permie job offer, 70k for an international training role for a big firm in my field of work. Lots of home working, good conditions, but out the country for Mon-Friday 2 weeks a month.

Current role is public sector, but hit a service point where I can and want to leave.

Wade in please.

Perfectly normal. Most companies tend to plan to their financial year and only renew gigs when the next years' funding is released.

Remember the contract term and notice period mean nothing if the client subsequently decides there's no work for you.

Comment

Yup totally normal and welcome to the risks and benefits of contracting... Only you can answer which is best for you...

Personally I would take the perm role...

Comment

Working...
      X