• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Glasgow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glasgow

Glasgow named cultural and creative 'centre' of UK - BBC News

There's plenty of culture, it grows on the walls, and most of it is more intelligent than your average weegie!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Glasgow has been listed as the top cultural and creative centre in the UK in a report from the European Commission.
      That was money well spent. Did they forget about England altogether, or are we just on the naughty step?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        That was money well spent. Did they forget about little England altogether, or are we just on the naughty step?

Inward thinking nations need not apply.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

"Cultural vibrancy", "creative economy", and the ability to bring in creative talent and nourish cultural engagement were all taken into account.
          Hmmm ..."creative economy"

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Inward thinking nations need not apply.
            I'm sure you were a great loss to the whole Scottish cultural vibe when you fooked off to Germany.
            Seriously though, apart from the Kelvingrove (which is somewhere on my 'must visit one day' list) I can't think of much else that would draw me to Glasgow. Except perhaps an Old Firm match, preferably at Celtic. If I was looking at visiting Scotland for cultural purposes, Edinburgh wins hands down.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Hmmm ..."creative economy"
              Filling in the benefits papers down the local boozer whilst working the night shift for the local supermarket.

Comment

Edinburgh's like a Disneyland version of Scotland. Speaking as very much a native Home Counties guy, I lived in Glasgow (a five minute walk from Kelvingrove in fact) for nine years either side of the turn of the millenium, and I was stunned by what a vibrant, friendly, diverse and "liveable" city it really is. I'm a country boy at heart, but if I had to go back to living in a city, I'd pick Glasgow.

Incidentally, speaking of Old Firm games, I worked with a girl when I was living there who was an absolute Celtic fanatic. To the extent that when she had a Saturday job as a youngster, she worked as a steward at Ibrox, because Celtic and Rangers never play at home on the same day, so she could be sure she'd never be working when the Hoops were playing at "Paradise". An elderly chap had a season ticket a couple of seats down from her, and he had a dodgy ticker. His doctor ordered him not to go to Old Firm matches, so his ticket was regularly up for grabs a couple of times a season. Once I got hold of it. I have never, ever, experienced anything quite like it. Visceral hatred abounded. Not a bad match either; ended up 3-3 with neither side ever more than one goal ahead.

Comment

I'm sure you were a great loss to the whole Scottish cultural vibe when you fooked off to Germany.
                  Family seem to think so.

Seriously though, apart from the Kelvingrove (which is somewhere on my 'must visit one day' list) I can't think of much else that would draw me to Glasgow.
                  I return home noe and again. Its always the banter that cracks me up.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                    Edinburgh's like a Disneyland version of Scotland. Speaking as very much a native Home Counties guy, I lived in Glasgow (a five minute walk from Kelvingrove in fact) for nine years either side of the turn of the millenium, and I was stunned by what a vibrant, friendly, diverse and "liveable" city it really is. I'm a country boy at heart, but if I had to go back to living in a city, I'd pick Glasgow.
                    Both my parents are Glaswegian and I was born there but lived outside the city, I also went to Uni in the City, so probably have a biased view. Glasgow is a working city always has been and always will be. It doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't. If I had to live in a major city in the UK, it would be Glasgow. Its got some scary places but then which major city doesn't? Its got some good stuff as well like the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the Burrell Collection

As for Edinburgh I would like to to see the Tattoo again or the Festival but after that its all a little artificial for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X