• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pretty solid reason to vote Labour and Corbyn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    There is a general perception that social mobility is reduced.

I was reading an interesting article in the week - can't remember where it was originally published. However it said that in places where there is most social unrest, the number of university graduates has increased alot of the last few decades. And the issue is too many graduates, not enough jobs.

Going to university is great. But it needs jobs for those graduates. And when those people get jobs, they need to feel they can get houses, families, etc.

Anyway the issue is easily solved. The world is overpopulated. Everyone should be sterilized. That will fix there being too many graduates soon enough.....
    So you're suggesting that there is a sense of entitlement that isn't being satisfied?

I'd venture that there are too many of the wrong kind of graduates.

Whereas everybody should be offered the opportunity not everyone will benefit from a University education.

A degree won't get you a job, it's not your degree that's being employed, it's you.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

It must be said that over the 14 years of enduring Ye Sloughe of Desponde, the number of Esteemed Customers I would have offered a job is quite limited.

A fair few of them would be hard pressed to work in engineering, which is just as well considering how many ended up running curry houses.

The frightening thing is that one of the least able now works as a civil servant doing something relatively important.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        And yet we also have record levels of food banks, record levels of child poverty, record levels of homelessness, and record levels of basics such as teachers having to buy supplies and food for their students.

Something is broken, and voting for the same shower isn’t going to fix it.
        I can't speak for most of your sweeping generalisations, but for homelessness in Leeds I can. My OH is in charge of Transitional Housing Units, amongst other things, and they have empty units they can't fill. Why? Because a lot of the homeless won't sign up to a drug rehabilitation plan. Recently they had one woman who was rehoused in a nice flat in Horsforth, one of the better areas of Leeds, she eneded up back in south Leeds with her druggie mates because she missed the crack. Tragically, she ODed and died.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          I can't speak for most of your sweeping generalisations, but for homelessness in Leeds I can. My OH is in charge of Transitional Housing Units, amongst other things, and they have empty units they can't fill. Why? Because a lot of the homeless won't sign up to a drug rehabilitation plan. Recently they had one woman who was rehoused in a nice flat in Horsforth, one of the better areas of Leeds, she eneded up back in south Leeds with her druggie mates because she missed the crack. Tragically, she ODed and died.
          That is indeed tragic.

It sounds like you’re equating “homelessness” with rough sleepers, though. One is a small subset of the other.

Comment

One way of getting a 2% growth rate is to pick 20 billion off the magic money tree as per the Tory manifesto.
            The argument on this thread is moot.
            Both parties have promised (if you can believe them) to increase spending hugely.
            Who's going to pay?
            Either it comes from taxes or it comes from debt. My guess is the latter.

Here's a tangible prediction - my guess is that the UK debt-GDP ratio climbs in the next few years, whoever's voted in.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              It must be said that over the 14 years of enduring Ye Sloughe of Desponde, the number of Esteemed Customers I would have offered a job is quite limited.

A fair few of them would be hard pressed to work in engineering, which is just as well considering how many ended up running curry houses.

The frightening thing is that one of the least able now works as a civil servant doing something relatively important.
              Hello Zeity.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Hello Zeity.
                Well remembered, I knew I'd heard the 'esteemed customers' thing on here before

Comment

UK tax income has went from 515 billion to 623 billion in 4 years so there could be a reasonable argument made that spending can be increased.

It's down to whether you think we can afford the conservative's proposal of 20,000 new police officers or Labour wanting hiring 450,000 people to insulate all the UK's houses.

All money trees are not created equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    So you're suggesting that there is a sense of entitlement that isn't being satisfied?

I'd venture that there are too many of the wrong kind of graduates.

Whereas everybody should be offered the opportunity not everyone will benefit from a University education.

A degree won't get you a job, it's not your degree that's being employed, it's you.
                    I am suggesting that house prices are so high that many young people can't see the point in trying to get one.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      UK tax income has went from 515 billion to 623 billion in 4 years so there could be a reasonable argument made that spending can be increased.

It's down to whether you think we can afford the conservative's proposal of 20,000 new police officers or Labour wanting hiring 450,000 people to insulate all the UK's houses.

All money trees are not created equal.
                      Has went? I'm sorry but I can't take seriously the argument of any adult who's incapable of mastering the basics of their native tongue.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X