• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shylock was Jewish?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shylock was Jewish?

Clacton Labour candidate quits over 'Shylock' comment - BBC News

I thought Shylock just referred to a greedy money lender?

I have always hated Shakespeare. Partially caused by being forced to study Merchant of Venice at age 13. Could not wait to get back into mafs lessons.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I have always hated Shakespeare. Partially caused by being forced to study Merchant of Venice at age 13. Could not wait to get back into mafs lessons.
    T'was a different time.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Of course he was a Jew. His famous speech:

Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.

Interesting article here about whether the play itself is antisemitic. It's a shame to hate Shakespear - he was a master story teller, and coined many phrases used in the English language today.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

*Sigh* so much antisemitism these days.

First they came for the Christians,
        and I did not speak out as I was not Christian.

Then they came for Shakespeare,
        and I did not speak out as age 13...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

<joke>
          Well they're not going to come for the Jews again, not now they've got Nukes!
          </joke>
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Of course he was a Jew. His famous speech:

Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.

Interesting article here about whether the play itself is antisemitic. It's a shame to hate Shakespear - he was a master story teller, and coined many phrases used in the English language today.
            Please tell me Shakespeare was racist - then he can be banned. It seems being boring is not enough.

I love you use of "of course". Who here as not studied all Shakespeare's drivel - typed by an army of monkeys. I was forced to study MoV and all I can remember is a pound of flesh. I momentarily got interested at the prospect of gore. And I was disappointed.

I wish Shylock had proper legal advice. I can see NLUK writing "You can take between 0.5 pounds and 1.5 pounds of any body part. To be cut while victim is on a DFS sofa using a sharpened chutney spoon. No protection from gladiator outfit allowed. Your accountant will weigh the body parts. Any discrepancies to be adjudicated by the moderators. Have you not read this in the first timers guide?"

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Next they will ban B****t parties.....

Comment

Please tell me Shakespeare was racist - then he can be banned. It seems being boring is not enough.

I love you use of "of course". Who here as not studied all Shakespeare's drivel - typed by an army of monkeys. I was forced to study MoV and all I can remember is a pound of flesh. I momentarily got interested at the prospect of gore. And I was disappointed.

I wish Shylock had proper legal advice. I can see NLUK writing "You can take between 0.5 pounds and 1.5 pounds of any body part. To be cut while victim is on a DFS sofa using a sharpened chutney spoon. No protection from gladiator outfit allowed. Your accountant will weigh the body parts. Any discrepancies to be adjudicated by the moderators. Have you not read this in the first timers guide?"
                What about "double dipping"? Is that outlawed now?

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  What about "double dipping"? Is that outlawed now?
                  Its only legal if you bleed the radiators first.

Comment

Villain, I have done thy mother.

Comment

Working...
                    X