• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sajid Javid tax avoider?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    An ISA is no more tax avoidance than buying jaffa cakes instead of chocolate digestives.

Where did your 'general definition' come from?
    investopedia but there are plenty of other sources. And yes an ISA an entirely legal method of avoiding tax as is being outside IR35 which is why HMRC keep getting their asses handed to them on a plate in the courts.

Tax Avoidance Definition

ooh sip the HMRC sip deep cool aid. Or not.

Tax avoidance: What are the rules? - BBC News

Now these loan schemes are quite obviously tax evasion and have failed in the court again and again. The sad thing is HMRC decided to let them run then pursued the clients not the organisers to kill the source so they are busy making people bankrupt years after the fact.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      who here isn't a tax avoider?
      anyone who pays for services in cash is a tax avoider, which I guess would include everyone in the HOC and HOL and most of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
        But still not a tax avoider. I think the wording is incorrect and it depends on how you operate. I run a business. Paying salary, Yes I do. Paying divs yes I do but it's form the betterment of the company and not me. As a director my obligation is to see the company succeed. No doing anything illegal or immoral like paying lower tax than uk whilst operating in uk.
        I'm sorry but to Joe Bloggs paying PAYE, you're a tax avoider. According to the HMRC definition, you're a tax avoider. Disagree all you like that the definition is wrong You are not paying your "fair share". Your effective rate of tax is less than a nurse or carer or other noble professional.

And to say you're not avoiding tax makes you a hypocrite too. This "benefit of the company" thing is garbage and you know it!

#justsayin #nothingpersonal

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
          I run a business. Paying salary, Yes I do. Paying divs yes I do but it's form the betterment of the company and not me. As a director my obligation is to see the company succeed. No doing anything illegal or immoral like paying lower tax than uk whilst operating in uk.
          Will you be able to continue doing that under the proposed private sector off payroll legislation?

If not, then the Government regards you as a tax avoider.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            anyone who pays for services in cash is a tax avoider, which I guess would include everyone in the HOC and HOL and most of the population.

The person who receives the cash for services and then fails to pay tax on them is a tax evader.

Now the person who pays may be tax evading if they are aware that tax will not be paid.

Neither side is likely to be a tax avoider.

There are many reasons to request cash for services a major one is the customer can't cancel the payment.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I pay quite a bit with cash. People generally prefer it, and I don't think they're evading tax. It saves them the hassle of paying in cheques. One person offers payment by bank transfer but she's been let down loads of time with people not paying and having to chase them.

I do know one (wealthy) person locally who never pays in cash. They insist on invoices for all manner of goods and services, and then put everything through their company.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
              X