• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I've gone off Amazon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still banned from EBay

Comment

I find things are shipped promptly. If there's a problem, Amazon are still the best company I know to get a refund issued or a replacement shipped.

I do have an issue with the tech support though - there isn't any. With other people you maybe go through the script "try turning it off and on" but will get through to someone human eventually. With Amazon, nope. I have been having increasing frustrations with Prime Video and Amazon's own devices but cannot get ANY assistance.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        The last few times I've bought stuff coming from Amazon itself (not their marketplace) I've felt a bit guilty, especially when it's trivial stuff like dog biscuits. I can't get it out of my mind the poor sods on zero hours contracts scurrying frantically around artificially lit mega warehouses.

There was a Dispatches programme about them on Ch4 last night where they sent a researcher undercover. I didn't manage to catch it but I don't suppose it painted a good picture.
        So if the choice is unemployed, because self-righteous pr!cks won't order anymore on Amazon or having a zero hours contract I know what the workers would chose

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
          I try to avoid buying from them due to the conditions the warehouse staff have to work in, but then a local logistics firm is similar, so it's difficult to know where to buy stuff online where someone's NOT being exploited. Same problems with clothing manufacturers, really.

Then there's the corporate tax dodging. They do have the Smile version of the website with the charitable donations so that's a positive.

The thing is, I really love reading books on Kindle, because I have terrible eyesight these days. I do feel bad about it as it's much better to have bookshops.

You don't need to buy those ebooks from amazon. You can sideload them using open source software called 'calibre'.

In fact calibre even has a search, so you can find the cheapest version of your book and choose the specific provider you purchase the book from if you prefer to pay the appropriates tax to a provider in a particular country. If you instead use a kobo you can rent books from your local library, of whom most use 'OverDrive'.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
            You don't need to buy those ebooks from amazon. You can sideload them using open source software called 'calibre'.

In fact calibre even has a search, so you can find the cheapest version of your book and choose the specific provider you purchase the book from if you prefer to pay the appropriates tax to a provider in a particular country. If you instead use a kobo you can rent books from your local library, of whom most use 'OverDrive'.
            I tried an app for borrowing books from the library a couple of years ago, awful experience. Just tried OverDrive, the server error when signing up was a sign that it's still a piece of tulip. Just given up after the library search failing, and having to select, UK, England then manually search for a library by scrolling through an endless list.

Comment

I Like Amazon...Kinda

Still use Amazon quite a lot. The Prime service is good and I get the telly stuff too.

Fed up with EBay for buying and selling, the fees are getting worse and half of the people on there have little or no common sense.

We can't grumble too much, we use these services and that has killed the High St.

Survival of the fittest I'm afraid...

Comment

What annoys me no end is the way Amazon "hijacks" search results, appearing near the top, but on being clicked the result in effect is:

"This item is not in stock, never has been in stock, and we don't think it ever will be in stock! But we wanted to lure you onto our page so maybe we can flog you some lame alternative."

Is there something I can click on repeatedly when this happens, so Amazon have to pay Google a lot for wasting my time?!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I placed 191 orders on Amazon last year. So far in 2019 its 165 .... Xmas should push that up a bit! No idea if that is a "lot" or not.

I don't really feel it's any different to any other business ethic-wise. The service is definitely better than dragging myself around some tired high-street shop only to find they don't have anything in stock.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the warehouse staff. Amazon deploys a lot of robots so in a few years they are likely to need a lot less pickers. The ones that are left will be in higher-skilled roles.

I also like the "Amazon Business" version of the website. Very useful for ordering supplies for my Ltd ... it's like having your own purchasing department.

Comment

Originally posted by Boggy View Post
                    We can't grumble too much, we use these services and that has killed the High St.
                    Haven't been to a high street, or supermarket, in years. Live out in the sticks, so get everything delivered.

It sounds like my concerns over Amazon may be a bit overblown.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                    X