• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I've gone off Amazon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I've gone off Amazon

I used to buy from Amazon on a regular basis. It was my go to place for stuff. It was just easy being able to get virtually everything in one place with just a few clicks.

I never joined Prime because I didn't order enough to make it cost effective and, for most stuff, I didn't need next day delivery.

Over time, one thing became clear. The service from sellers on their market place was better than from Amazon itself eg. stuff was shipped more promptly.

Also, as a corporate behemoth, Amazon leaves me cold. Despite their recent fluffy TV advert, I'm not convinced employees aren't exploited with zero hours contracts, bad working conditions etc. My conscience feels clearer buying from smaller independent retailers using their market place.

In the past year, however, I've found myself increasingly switching to eBay. The same range of stuff is available and, invariably, it's cheaper. Also, eBay is just a platform for independent retailers who I've found provide an excellent level of service. Ease of use is the same as Amazon; stored credit card details and a few clicks to buy. You can even use PayPal which Amazon doesn't accept.

I used to think eBay was just for second hand stuff but the range of new stuff is now just as extensive as Amazon and, as I say, in many cases cheaper. In fact, I've found quite a lot of stuff I've been looking for on eBay which isn't on Amazon.
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 11 November 2019, 20:23.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Amazon reviews are completely manipulated, by mostly Chinese sellers, peddling absolute garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      I used to buy from Amazon on a regular basis. It was my go to place for stuff. It was just easy being able to get virtually everything in one place with just a few clicks.

I never joined Prime because I didn't order enough to make it cost effective and, for most stuff, I didn't need next day delivery.

Over time, one thing became clear. The service from sellers on their market place was better than from Amazon itself eg. stuff was shipped more promptly.

Also, as a corporate behemoth, Amazon leaves me cold. Despite their recent fluffy TV advert, I'm not convinced employees aren't exploited with zero hours contracts, bad working conditions etc. My conscience feels clearer buying from smaller independent retailers using their market place.

In the past year, however, I've found myself increasingly switching to eBay. The same range of stuff is available and, invariably, it's cheaper. Also, eBay is just a platform for independent retailers who I've found provide an excellent level of service. Ease of use is the same as Amazon; stored credit card details and a few clicks to buy. You can even use PayPal which Amazon doesn't accept.

I used to think eBay was just for second hand stuff but the range of new stuff is now just as extensive as Amazon and, as I say, in many cases cheaper. In fact, I've found quite a lot of stuff I've been looking for on eBay which isn't on Amazon.

You're a contractor... https://www.harrods.com/en-gb
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Jeff Bozo's hides behind competition as the reason for his success, in truth it's just another American business that squeezed small businesses out of existence by moving their operations to favourable tax jurisdictions.

I do try and avoid Amazon but their stranglehold on the market makes it difficult for small business to stand out.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The last few times I've bought stuff coming from Amazon itself (not their marketplace) I've felt a bit guilty, especially when it's trivial stuff like dog biscuits. I can't get it out of my mind the poor sods on zero hours contracts scurrying frantically around artificially lit mega warehouses.

There was a Dispatches programme about them on Ch4 last night where they sent a researcher undercover. I didn't manage to catch it but I don't suppose it painted a good picture.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I do not believe Amazon are any different from any logistics company.

I mean about 15 years ago I worked in industrial recruitment and we were supplying staff to a large DIY supplies warehouse and those people had targets and expected pick speeds - and if they did not hit them they would be gone.

Generally it's like pretty much any job - if you go in with the attitude that you will try and get by doing the bare minimum you will be found and out moved on.

Comment

I used to buy from Amazon itself (rather than marketplace sellers) in the belief that I would be less likely to be buying fake goods rather than from, say, ebay

I now take a more balanced view

Comment

I try to avoid buying from them due to the conditions the warehouse staff have to work in, but then a local logistics firm is similar, so it's difficult to know where to buy stuff online where someone's NOT being exploited. Same problems with clothing manufacturers, really.

Then there's the corporate tax dodging. They do have the Smile version of the website with the charitable donations so that's a positive.

The thing is, I really love reading books on Kindle, because I have terrible eyesight these days. I do feel bad about it as it's much better to have bookshops.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  I do not believe Amazon are any different from any logistics company.

I mean about 15 years ago I worked in industrial recruitment and we were supplying staff to a large DIY supplies warehouse and those people had targets and expected pick speeds - and if they did not hit them they would be gone.

Generally it's like pretty much any job - if you go in with the attitude that you will try and get by doing the bare minimum you will be found and out moved on.
                  Aye, you're probably right.

I suppose the fact that they can get Brits to work there at all means it can't be that bad. There are many places and jobs where only Eastern Europeans and other foreigners will work.

Comment

I sold my phone on ebay for 240 quid and I listed it on a day with £1 listing fees or some other promotion, and I *still* had to pay around 20 quid in fees.

I'm never selling anything on there again, as that is extortionate.

You can boycott amazon for ethical reasons but to boycott for shipping makes no sense - prime (which gives you prime video and other benefits like their music service and photo storage) gives same day and next day shipping on many items, not only that but you can buy items from other amazon stores, e.g. italy, france, etc. and even AMERICA, where they will pre-calculate tax/import duties so you can pay it up front and not get gouged £10+ by the courier (or £8 royal mail).

Anyway, the discerning customer buys from aliexpress (and aliexpress have their annual 1 day sale on yesterday/today). Most of the stuff on amazon/ebay is aliexpress items imported and price hiked. If you don't need it in a hurry then it's significantly better, and it has customer protections out the wazoo.

Comment

Working...
                    X