• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Wail and ad blockers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Switching off javascript works for some sites.
    I just tried the Wail site with JS turned off. Works just fine as far as reading the garbage content is concerned. Really fast too without all those ads and trackers.

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Not reading the Wail works even better!
    Though this is preferable

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      So it looks like they won't allow content to show when you've an ad blocker on.
      Excellent.

One day it blocked 83 ads.

Which was good.

I won't miss "Hurrah for the Blackshirts".
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        I do similar but at network level using PiHole. You can run it in a container on your laptop if you're out and about.
        I've though about setting a PiHole up but wondered as it's acting as a proxy to filter all traffic whether it introduces some latency, or potential bottleneck when streaming high def videos and the like?

Plus my current internet router has 4 ports making it easy to direct cables around the place, where I'd need to add another switch/router after the PiHole to do the same.

Hence, I'm aware of it an an option but not got around to doing more than that.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          I've though about setting a PiHole up but wondered as it's acting as a proxy to filter all traffic whether it introduces some latency, or potential bottleneck when streaming high def videos and the like?

Plus my current internet router has 4 ports making it easy to direct cables around the place, where I'd need to add another switch/router after the PiHole to do the same.

Hence, I'm aware of it an an option but not got around to doing more than that.
          My Pi-hole on Raspi-4 introduces no detectable latency. It (can) also encrypt your DNS using CloudFlare's DNS using DNS over https.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            My Pi-hole on Raspi-4 introduces no detectable latency. It (can) also encrypt your DNS using CloudFlare's DNS using DNS over https.
            Mine's running in a container on a Linux box. AFAICT all it does is a bit of DNSMasq to resolve ad tracking/telemetry/ad serving sites to a black hole. If anything it should make things faster. YMMV.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Mine's running in a container on a Linux box. AFAICT all it does is a bit of DNSMasq to resolve ad tracking/telemetry/ad serving sites to a black hole. If anything it should make things faster. YMMV.
              Yes, having had a quick look into how it actually works, it's an alternative DNS server for your network rather than a proxy server as I previously thought. I think I'll add one to my Black Friday shopping list.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Not reading the Wail works even better!

52% of the country probably do.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

hosts file solution for me. the wail opens, no problems, not that I read it,just for the test.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    52% of the country probably do.
                    Which country? ISTR that you live in Germany.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I just tried the Wail site with JS turned off. Works just fine as far as reading the garbage content is concerned. Really fast too without all those ads and trackers.

Though this is preferable
                      I've never understood why someone can't write a browser app which implements a "Freeze" toggle button - Press it and all the moving, dancing, off-putting bollox is literally stopped in its tracks so one can just read the text undistracted.

Or a mode where videos play, say, the first second by default and then automatically, and will only continue if the browser user clicks over them.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X