• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Wail and ad blockers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Wail and ad blockers

So it looks like they won't allow content to show when you've an ad blocker on. Bearing in mind my ad blocker is showing over 50 hits per page I don't think I'll be turning it off thank you. The site is a nightmare for ads and I've not been at a client where it's been either blocked or a nightmare to read.

That said I do like a good peruse from time to time. Anyway around this? Seems like a very bold move by them tbh.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Works fine in Brave browser with not a single ad.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Anyway around this?
      I use a hosts file (MVPS) that redirects all the known adservers and other dodgy sources to a localhost IP address, so I just get whitespace instead of the adverts. Presumably the website (including Daily Mail) fall back to assuming the adservice is currently unavailable (which it is ) and show the rest of the content.

I don't bother with adblockers to avoid the hassle of sites blocking adblockers as you've found.

Additionally I do this inside a VM so I can accept all cookies and clear them down regularly.

I surf whitelisted sites that require login, such as CUK, outside of the VM.

Works for me.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Switching off javascript works for some sites.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not reading the Wail works even better!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Not reading the Wail works even better!
            Only one reason to visit. Having accidentally clicked on the guardian opinion page. It restores the balance.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Only one reason to visit. Having accidentally clicked on the guardian opinion page. It restores the balance.
              A likely story!
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                I use a hosts file (MVPS) that redirects all the known adservers and other dodgy sources to a localhost IP address, so I just get whitespace instead of the adverts. Presumably the website (including Daily Mail) fall back to assuming the adservice is currently unavailable (which it is ) and show the rest of the content.

I don't bother with adblockers to avoid the hassle of sites blocking adblockers as you've found.

Additionally I do this inside a VM so I can accept all cookies and clear them down regularly.

I surf whitelisted sites that require login, such as CUK, outside of the VM.

Works for me.
                I do similar but at network level using PiHole. You can run it in a container on your laptop if you're out and about.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I use uBlock Origin for Chrome and DM seems ok. I mean its still full of tulipe but the expected tulipe.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    I do similar but at network level using PiHole. You can run it in a container on your laptop if you're out and about.
                    Ditto. Raspi-4.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X