• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm a Contractor... what can I claim off the state?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move to Scotland and get free eye and dentist checks - everyone gets it

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 27 November 2019, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by moneybags View Post
      Lance, I'll admit that it was not a deliberate typo and I'm not dyslexic however my disability can affect my ability to spot typos.

Luckily for me there are plenty of bods out there who can proof read and thanks.

I've only had one week off because of my disability in my 15 year career... not bad really so I can find a way to work without gaps and now I'm going to unleash my talents in the world of contracting. You're not going to stop me, I'll tear down the barriers etc. etc.

Ps I want your proof read edits for this post on my desk by tomorrow morning.

Edit: I have nothing to say about my former employer other than they have written me a good reference.
      What disability gets you PIP payments where you suffer less impact to work than hangovers?
      Last I heard they werw making critically ill people lose PIP payments

There are some that say you can claim JSA in between contracts. Personally I wouldn't get out of bed for £75 a week (or whatever it is). And I *think* that you need to have exhausted your savings first.

As for benefits whilst working. If you're entitled then you're entitled. Just like child benefit.
      As a new starter you'd be far better off reading the noob guides to the right (that's over there ----------------------------->>>>>>
      as the £££££ that could save you by getting it right in the first place is better than any thin gruel (you've got a £30k cushion remember)
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 27 November 2019, 14:54.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yes, northernladuk, that was my logic initially but then I thought I'd put the question to the DWP while I am eligible to claim so my position is 100% legit.

It appears that permitted work is based on income or whether a self employed person is deemed as actively looking for work. If a shopkeeper has no income or SSP then my limited understanding of the rules is they can claim ESA.

I wouldn't say that's permi thinking, a director is just as entitled to benefits as any other UK citizen if the right conditions are met... or that's my smart alec interpretation of the benefits system.
        If you are a director of a Limited Company, you are not self-employed.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          If you are a director of a Limited Company, you are not self-employed.
          nor employed
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've not set up yet ...

OK, so you're not a contractor.

Have you checked how long it will take you to sort out an accountant, get your Ltd set up, or decide to go through an umbrella?

Also, it's clear you don't have a contract yet.

I'm moving this to general as you talk about your "sense of humour" and this is currently in the professional forums.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I'm moving this to general as you talk about your "sense of humour" and this is currently in the professional forums.
              Banzaaaaiiii. In to him lads!

At least PC has a new mate if nothing else.

EDIT : And lasses
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Banzaaaaiiii. In to him lads!

At least PC has a new mate if nothing else.

EDIT : And lasses
                You culture appropriationist!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  OK, so you're not a contractor.

Have you checked how long it will take you to sort out an accountant, get your Ltd set up, or decide to go through an umbrella?

Also, it's clear you don't have a contract yet.

Yes, I have a contract. It's work that requires security clearance so I'm waiting for my SC to transfer and the agent has said it will take a month. Also the client shuts down over Christmas. I am waiting for an IR35 review of the contract but I'm tempted to go limited anyway just for the sheer thrill and to hell with the consequences.

My customers like my sense of humour so I think you're a little hasty to move me because I think a SOH is a good thing in business... especially for sales.

Comment

So you have a contract but no company for the contract to be awarded to. How does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      So you have a contract but no company for the contract to be awarded to. How does that work?
                      It doesn't, he's talking tulipe.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X