• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free Broadband for everyone!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    internet access is a luxury not a right
    Not according to the commie-pinko-lefty-subversives!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

You’re confusing two different things - luxury vs necessity, and privilege vs right.

Internet access these days is a necessity. For many poorer people, the only way that they can access public services is by going to the local library and logging in there.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        You’re confusing two different things - luxury vs necessity, and privilege vs right.

Internet access these days is a necessity. For many poorer people, the only way that they can access public services is by going to the local library and logging in there.
        Because internet is a necessity, it is provided in public offices like a library. In rural areas I can see an argument for providing more public access points because libraries can be few and far between.

It is not necessary for it to be provided free to the home. No-one needs 24/7 internet access.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          No-one needs 24/7 internet access.
          I beg to differ

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Because internet is a necessity, it is provided in public offices like a library. In rural areas I can see an argument for providing more public access points because libraries can be few and far between.

It is not necessary for it to be provided free to the home. No-one needs 24/7 internet access.
            One step at a time ;-)

So we’re agreed that internet access these days is a necessity.

And perhaps we can agree that it it not a necessity for it to be provided free to every home.

But would it make the country a better place and provide more opportunities for some, if it was? Say for example, for every 1000 people that only waste it for surfing, there are 10 that use it to create a home business, or for remote working, or for the housebound to be able to converse with elderly relatives halfway across the country, wouldn’t this be worthwhile?

Comment

It's certainly no longer a luxury, especially when a lot of government services are now digital by default.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Don't remember BT calls being 'free' when it was nationalised, in fact they are still the most expensive provider.

Comment

I hope they bring us back Busby when they return us to a 1970s level of service.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I hope they bring us back Busby when they return us to a 1970s level of service.
                    Well, that dream of yours won’t happen since the Internet did not exist in its current form back then.

Move with the times, unless you’re JtB’s age, which you want us to believe you are. If that’s the case, enjoy each day and try to make a positive difference.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      It's certainly no longer a luxury, especially when a lot of government services are now digital by default.
                      how many people are we actually talking about here with absolutely no access to the internet?

i'd guess worth case scenario a 200k ish

does that justify "free fibre broadband for everyone"?

Comment

Working...
                      X