• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Underpaid and overworked HMRC staff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underpaid and overworked HMRC staff

from Phil Manley on LinkedIn: "Interesting document leaked from underpaid and overworked HMRC staff.
    Some shocking points within.

https://lnkd.in/gsJX79C"

direct link Jim Harra's blog.pdf - Anonymous Files

It is not just those outside HMRC who hate the way it is run. It is the staff too....

I was going to get my violin out but, having read some of those comments, I'm almost sympathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I was going to get my violin out but, having read some of those comments, I'm almost sympathetic.
      You're getting soft in your dotage!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

For those that don't know. CS rating are AA->AO->EO->HEO->SEO then into the numbers.
        So an AO is equivalent to a junior programmer with a couple of years real experience.
        Don't know how that compares with the AO complaining about his take home pay (£1200/month) and wanting a 20% increase, oddly saving his ire for the PAYE and NI they pay.

Comment

Try to remember they are on our side.

Comment

Any Maths not HMRC strong point either.

Loan charge under review: The 20-year retroactive tax policy pushing IT contractors to the brink

HMRC, meanwhile, maintains that the average settlement size it is seeking from contractors caught by the loan charge policy is about £13,000.

“HMRC claims there are 50,000 contractors affected and the average figure owed is £13,000,” said Phil Manley, a director at tax consultancy PMTC, and active member of the anti-loan charge campaign community. “If you multiply one by the other, how did HMRC get the £3.2bn they expect to make from the loan charge?

“I've been speaking to numerous tax firms, effectively rival firms, as we’ve all had to come together on this. And the average [tax bill] we’re seeing is £135,000. So unless they missed a zero, I’m not sure where HMRC has got that figure from.”

Computer Weekly raised this point with HMRC, which declined to address the question in the response it provided.

Maybe they got Diane Abbott to do the maths?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Maybe they got Diane Abbott to do the maths?
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

That site (not LinkedIn) contains a trojan, is this a wind-up?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                  That site (not LinkedIn) contains a trojan, is this a wind-up?
                  No Trojan alert when I viewed it.

Comment

No Trojan alert when I viewed it.
                    is that because you use Durex?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X